Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
I have the OdA home for a long weekend trial. As probably I won't be able to afford it I can share my initial impressions :-) My system is composed by a restored Lenco 75 (PTP) with Lyra Delos / Schiick arm, Aries, Devialet 250, Lawrence Audio Double Bass, speaker and power cables by Sablon, including their latest Reserva which are an absolute wonder with D. Listening room 10m x 6m, 3m high + Franck Tchang resonators.
Let me start by stating that I am very happy with my current system, the synergies between Devialet and Lawrence audio are many for my delight (I used to own Sophia 3 which pale in comparison). I had tried in the past the 800 with both the Sophia and Vivid audio g1 and g2. In both cases the 250 alone was the better choice (in the case of the vivid I did the trial in Lawrence Dickie's house - he's the designer of the G series and of the B&W Nautilius... and concurred with my assessment). Now here we are with the OdA, the look is stunning. Functionalities are the same as the 800 (including the software glitches: when I changed the phono setup the entire master configuration stopped working and I had to redo a full system setup).
So how does it sound? First, I concur with Ian that any assessment at this stage needs to be discounted by the newness factor. The one word that keeps coming to mind is NATURAL. The sound is more organic, the concept of separation is gone as there is a continuum across the soundstage and the different instruments, detail is as good as before in the mid-range but big improvements in the highs and the deep lows. Drums do benefit considerably, improving realism and overall musicality. Another important improvement is around authority and control. For lack of a better metaphor it seems that there is a better musician behind each instrument, giving the best of himself! Last, home cinema performance in 2.0 is significantly better, particularly in terms of voice clarity and dynamics management. Net, I am enjoying it a lot and have started counting pennies to see if I can get to the requested price. At a more macro level, this realization should reassure all of us on Devialet's future. I ignore how much of this technology can be applied to the current Expert setup but I am definitely optimistic that we should see some trickle down in the near future for everyone's pleasure. Vive la musique!
Hifi News are doing a review in next months issue too . Should be interesting
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(11-Jan-2016, 02:06)Womaz Wrote: Hifi News are doing a review in next months issue too . Should be interesting

March issue?  Just got the February issue, and can't see the O'dA.  (Interesting review of the Aurender N10 though)
Hello chaps I am auditioning this tomorrow. Let me know your questions....

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(13-Jan-2016, 22:36)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hello chaps I am auditioning this tomorrow. Let me know your questions....

Guillaume

Hope you have a great time, let us know how you get on.

Nick
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(13-Jan-2016, 21:53)Confused Wrote:
(11-Jan-2016, 02:06)Womaz Wrote: Hifi News are doing a review in next months issue too . Should be interesting

March issue?  Just got the February issue, and can't see the O'dA.  (Interesting review of the Aurender N10 though)

Yes it's in the March issue according to their page advertising the following months magazine
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
@ G.:

How about I2S, BNC digital in, better speaker terminals and what is your impression concerning differences in SQ between the O'dA and your D800?

I am looking forward for your comments!

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
enjoy Guillaume
looking forward to what you think Big Grin
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
(13-Jan-2016, 22:36)GuillaumeB Wrote: Hello chaps I am auditioning this tomorrow. Let me know your questions....

Guillaume

Guillaume,

Most important to me is what you think of the sound difference.

Beyond that I'd like to know anything technical that you can get out of them. For example:
- What's new in the Class-D card beyond increased thermal transfer area and being "brand new"? What are the improved specs.?
- How much less power does the unit use overall due to the improved amps?
- Is standby power reduced (are there lower-power modes)?
- Are there any other improvements to thermal performance such as improved ventilation?
- How was the Class-A card tweaked?
- What are the improvements to power input and filtering?
- Is the finish anodization or plating?
- Is the remote different in any way?
- Have they updated the DAC in any way or tweaked anything we haven't yet heard about?
- Are any of Manoet's mods now stock?

Also, since I know the answer to whether I have an extra €30k and so didn't order one, anything you can find out about trickle-down plans to the un-original models would be tantalizing.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Guillaume

Good luck with the demo Guillaume!  At the very least, I hope it is in some way conclusive.

I think the others have asked just about every question that could be asked, but I would add a question regarding the specification / model numbers of the supplied mains and S/PDIF cables.

The big question has to be the obvious one though.  Does it sound discernibly better than a D800 and if so, by what kind of margin?  (hard to define, I know)  Is this a home demo or are you off to the dealers?  I think if it was me, I would want to do a straight back to back comparison with a D800.  Is this what you are planning?  I guess all will be revealed later.

I hope this goes to plan, enjoy!