Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
(09-Feb-2016, 20:28)kerkhoffd Wrote:
(08-Feb-2016, 13:18)IanG-UK Wrote: However, as for sound quality with the Shunyatas and Original d'Atelier goes, I can pretty definitely say that this is the best I have heard in my room, by a good degree.

Is it the Original d'Atelier? The Shunyatas? Release 9.0?

Would be very interested to hear what Shunyata powercables you use. Tested a Viper and a Z PC-10 on my D200 and I was most impressed with the Z PC-10 so far. Didn't try the Sigma range however.

Hi Kerkhoffd

I use the Shunyata Alpha HC from my mains outlet to the Triton/(Typhon) - then two Shunyata ZPC 10 Alpha Digital from the Triton to the two Devialets.

These were just what Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata recommended and, in the UK, it was difficult to try others anyway. The distributor (now changed I believe) carried very little stock and had few if any established dealers.

All seems to work ok!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
What equipment do you own?
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(09-Feb-2016, 23:42)IanG-UK Wrote:
(09-Feb-2016, 20:28)kerkhoffd Wrote:
(08-Feb-2016, 13:18)IanG-UK Wrote: However, as for sound quality with the Shunyatas and Original d'Atelier goes, I can pretty definitely say that this is the best I have heard in my room, by a good degree.

Is it the Original d'Atelier? The Shunyatas? Release 9.0?

Would be very interested to hear what Shunyata powercables you use. Tested a Viper and a Z PC-10 on my D200 and I was most impressed with the Z PC-10 so far. Didn't try the Sigma range however.

Hi Kerkhoffd

I use the Shunyata Alpha HC from my mains outlet to the Triton/(Typhon) - then two Shunyata ZPC 10 Alpha Digital from the Triton to the two Devialets.

These were just what Caelin Gabriel of Shunyata recommended and, in the UK, it was difficult to try others anyway. The distributor (now changed I believe) carried very little stock and had few if any established dealers.

All seems to work ok!

As you live in England, what's the plugs you are using for your Alpha HC and Z-PC10 Alpha Digital - US 15Amp or UK 13Amp plug? 

Thank you.
Thank you Ian for sharing. I too consider the Z PC-10 to the Devialet a very good match. Very happy with it. When I go double mono (D400 in my case) I will not hesitate to buy me a second one. Maybe even consider the Triton and Alpha HC route too in the future.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
Quote:To our surprise the Aurender W20 was not even close to our early prototype....

Since that time we have tested several other available streamers and we have always been massively disapointed...

So, designer of a competing (and as yet unreleased) streamer labels the Aurender a weak link….. while getting in a plug for their own device.  Hard for me to remove the bias from that comment…. Wink  

If you'd said the Aurenders were expensive, I would have been pretty much in agreement.  But in terms of SQ, certainly at the W20/N10 level I've only ever read glowing reviews.  By all accounts the USB connection on the '100' series is meant to be based on the same tech as the N10, although the CA reviews definitely put the N10 ahead - it being the only one on the CASH list.  

So I suppose if anything I would have expected an N10 to be used if they were going Aurender and USB, but it seems like N10 or W20 would have been no good either…..  In fact, it sounds as though all current streamers are weak links, so what should they have paired it with, that a customer can buy now to use with it?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(10-Feb-2016, 03:28)G51 Wrote: As you live in England, what's the plugs you are using for your Alpha HC and Z-PC10 Alpha Digital - US 15Amp or UK 13Amp plug? 

Thank you.

I just took whatever Caelin supplied as being UK regulatory compliant.

So the mains plus is Etron Series 14008 (UK three pin) and the plugs to the Triton are Furutech FI(UK) 1363(G) (UK three pin) which feed those small UK/USA convertors since the Triton sockets themselves are the USA three pin socket straight line units (where the earth is on the side of the plug/socket).
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(10-Feb-2016, 10:09)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
Quote:To our surprise the Aurender W20 was not even close to our early prototype....

Since that time we have tested several other available streamers and we have always been massively disapointed...

So, designer of a competing (and as yet unreleased) streamer labels the Aurender a weak link….. while getting in a plug for their own device.  Hard for me to remove the bias from that comment…. Wink  

I will not challenge the potential bias you are pointing out.
If I understand correctly, the solution gentleman is contemplating to offer is based on a tuned computer and a Mutec reclocker. This is also, with the level of understanding I have, the way the d1-server from Totaldac has been built : a music server (small linux box), a USB galvanic isolation (provided by his USB cable) and a reclocker.
I am not experimented enough to serve as a reference, and I do not have any financial interest in Mutec either, but just putting a Mutec reclocker between a very standard Mac Mini and the Devialet is providing extremely good results.
I find it a very attractive alternative solution to expensive streamers.
Would someone with better experience than me confirm this ?
I can confirm from personal experience that re-clocking the USB data and regenerating the USB power made audible improvements to me in both my speaker and headphone systems.

I'm using the UpTone Regen, but a number of skilled designers have taken the same approach. It seems that a consensus is building as we learn about digital music that a precise clock matters as does removing the noise generated by electromagnetic interference. Most of the top DACs, sources, and tweaks are taking this approach. The specific methods seems to vary (and thus the results vary) but the number and success of these approaches seems to validate the need to reduce noise and improve clocking. One can do that through corrective tweaks (Jitterbug, Regen, Mutec, etc.) or minimizing the problems by using a good source (Gentleman's unit, Melco, etc.). On the other hand when Devialet AIR works (as it does for me) it sounds almost as good as my tweaked USB chain so I can also see the value in avoiding USB altogether.

If I were showing off an Original d'Atelier I would certainly try to use the best source and cables I could, although I'm sure that it sounds stunning without such effort.
Hi,

I am a new user here but a long time reader of this forum and I have much enjoyed the quality of the comments and the friendly "atmosphere" especially if you compare with other places... , I am awaiting an Original d'Atelier delivery and I was wondering about the AQ RCA cable provided. Is the Crystal one provided with D400 and D800 not a better one? For the ones owning already the Od'A what solution are you using to connect Master and Compagnon, any difference with what is been tried and found on D400 and D800?

Thx
F
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator
(10-Feb-2016, 18:19)Frnch Wrote: Hi,

I am a new user here but a long time reader of this forum and I have much enjoyed the quality of the comments and the friendly "atmosphere" especially if you compare with other places... , I am awaiting an Original d'Atelier delivery and I was wondering about the AQ RCA cable provided. Is the Crystal one provided with D400 and D800 not a better one? For the ones owning already the Od'A what solution are you using to connect Master and Compagnon, any difference with what is been tried and found on D400 and D800?

Thx
F

Hi Frnch,
The one I heard had been shipped with an Audioquest digital coax. 
This is how it was shown with great satisfaction to the listeners.