Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
Coming up to 300 hour mark, bit of an update for y'all.

First of all there has been an improvement in the sound. For a while it felt like I was coasting on a plateau. The effect I was looking for was a palpable texture in the sound, a solidity to the sound, something you can almost reach out and grab in the air in front of you. The sound had been very open and the trebles sweet for a while but this tonal colour/texture was missing. I almost think of it as a 3D effect of tonal textures (not talking about soundstage but rather like a relief map with shading showing you elevations and depressions if that makes sense!). In this regard I am noticing some fairly big improvements. Do I think it's as good as Jon's machine? No but it's much closer than it was just a few days ago, which is encouraging. 

The other thing that I have noticed is that the the temperatures are running cooler. And quite a bit cooler! We are now in the low to mid 30s (with 24/7 playback), even really turning the music up to say -16 (which is very loud!) and leaving it on for over an hour and I am barely touching 40, with most numbers comfortably under. This is with DPM switched off by the way! On my 800 I would have expected high 40s, even creeping into the 50s. I reckon the average temperatures have dropped by 10c.

One slightly annoying thing: I have noticed that my remote scratches incredibly easily! No idea how but I already appear to have a number of little hairline scratches and one or two slight buff marks. Perhaps I used the wrong cloth or something. Anyway I'm not going to worry about it! This remote is for using!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I wonder how long I must listen to a hifi system before I can even describe the music like the way you can envisage it to be. Thanks for the update and very descriptive write up on the sound quality.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(13-Apr-2016, 14:18)hk6230 Wrote: I wonder how long I must listen to a hifi system before I can even describe the music like the way you can envisage it to be. Thanks for the update and very descriptive write up on the sound quality.

hk - If you do enough critical listening you do end up going quite insane and then start hearing these things, it should only take you a year or two more to get there.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(13-Apr-2016, 14:02)GuillaumeB Wrote: The other thing that I have noticed is that the the temperatures are running cooler. And quite a bit cooler! We are now in the low to mid 30s (with 24/7 playback), even really turning the music up to say -16 (which is very loud!) and leaving it on for over an hour and I am barely touching 40, with most numbers comfortably under. This is with DPM switched off by the way! On my 800 I would have expected high 40s, even creeping into the 50s. I reckon the average temperatures have dropped by 10c.

Running at 30+ deg C is really cool. What's the room temperature of your listening room? Do you have the trigger cable plugged in?
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
(13-Apr-2016, 14:35)Confused Wrote:
(13-Apr-2016, 14:18)hk6230 Wrote: I wonder how long I must listen to a hifi system before I can even describe the music like the way you can envisage it to be. Thanks for the update and very descriptive write up on the sound quality.

hk - If you do enough critical listening you do end up going quite insane and then start hearing these things, it should only take you a year or two more to get there.

I'm basically trying to describe in visual terms what I can hear, and no doubt not doing a great job! I think there are two elements: one is the weight of the sound in the air, its "palpable" presence (so for e.g. you can almost see the keys being played on a piano since the image is so vivid and credible), and then there is the additional information contained within the sound, expressed through dynamic shading. So very subtle changes in colour and intensity that give you a kind of 3D effect of that note, since it is changing. These help express emotion and create a connection with the music.

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
My exact thoughts how are these explained ... Similar to Atkinson (Stereophile ) I never understood but I like the words seemed cool Smile ...

Thanks to Guillaume for explaining additionally what it actually means.
and what about these ?
tonal colour/texture was missing
3D effect of tonal textures

Regarding Temperature - is it good if the temperature goes up so it gets more clearer ? I understand O d'A might not heat up because there is enough BHP still left even if the volume is around -10dB for example. But will it sound even better if the temperature breaches about 40-45 Deg.C?
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(13-Apr-2016, 15:02)tategoi Wrote:
(13-Apr-2016, 14:02)GuillaumeB Wrote: The other thing that I have noticed is that the the temperatures are running cooler. And quite a bit cooler! We are now in the low to mid 30s (with 24/7 playback), even really turning the music up to say -16 (which is very loud!) and leaving it on for over an hour and I am barely touching 40, with most numbers comfortably under. This is with DPM switched off by the way! On my 800 I would have expected high 40s, even creeping into the 50s. I reckon the average temperatures have dropped by 10c.

Running at 30+ deg C is really cool. What's the room temperature of your listening room? Do you have the trigger cable plugged in?

No trigger... Room is normal ambient temperature... Less than 20 degrees.

Music playing non-stop at -35 and during critical listening turned up to -25.

Guillaume

UK
(13-Apr-2016, 16:34)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(13-Apr-2016, 15:02)tategoi Wrote:

No trigger... Room is normal ambient temperature... Less than 20 degrees.

Music playing non-stop at -35 and during critical listening turned up to -25.

Guillaume

Room with less than 20 is quite cool IMO.
(13-Apr-2016, 14:35)Confused Wrote:

Well, you may be right. As the book "Outliers" claimed that to be "good" at something you have to do it for ar least 10000 hours. Looking at my daily listening about 8 hours and having breaks for about 3 months a year, I have probably listened to about 3500 hours now. Still another 6500 hours to go. Big Grin
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Less than 20 degree, you should have bought large tube amps Guillaume ha ha.
I live in Indonesia and room temperature is in the high twenties up to 30 degree.
My 200 with output restricted to 30 watts reaches temperatures in the mid to high 40ies driving my duos.

I find your comments re burn in interesting. My 200 is a demo model and I guess did not see much playing time at the dealer. I have put around 200 hours on it since I got it and have the feeling it has not reached its full potengial yet.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner