Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shunyata Research
(05-Jul-2017, 14:41)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If there's ever an every-level power conditioner with uk plug sockets id go for a listen.  that is, more entry level than the current entry level. Smile

They have the new Venom UK6 which now has the updated CCIv3 filters and Trident module (which replaces the previous Gemini module and has better transient protection, noise reduction and fault detection) and it's an impressive piece of kit. It sounds quite a bit better than my demo unit!

In terms of noise reduction it delivers about 24db @ 1MHz (so a factor of 15) which puts it in the same league as the Denali 2000/T, although the Denali adds the QR/BB which is the technology that enhances the perception of dynamic impact and timing when connected to amplifiers and other high-current electronics. 

The best thing about the UK6 though is it's ability to provide massive amounts of current, in other words the filters don't impede the flow of current to the amplifier. It's relatively easy to make a filter that measures well in terms of noise reduction but it's much more challenging to do this without affecting instantaneous current delivery, which is where of course most mains conditioners fail when used with high power amplifiers.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Thanks guillaume, good to know. I did actually see a couple if these on eBay from a reputable seller but decided against it - not least because I have no need for 6 sockets and it's quite big. Not sure if it was the latest version - it looked the same as the photos at the time (couple months back).

If you feel so inclined my feedback would be for something like it, but a uk2 or a uk3. Smaller, fewer sockets and hopefully even cheaper. Smile

What was your demo one that wasn't as good - prototype or old model?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(05-Jul-2017, 16:11)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Thanks guillaume, good to know. I did actually see a couple if these on eBay from a reputable seller but decided against it - not least because I have no need for 6 sockets and it's quite big. Not sure if it was the latest version - it looked the same as the photos at the time (couple months back).

If you feel so inclined my feedback would be for something like it, but a uk2 or a uk3. Smaller, fewer sockets and hopefully even cheaper. Smile

What was your demo one that wasn't as good - prototype or old model?

The units on eBay should never have been sold and I'm not saying this because of sour grapes. These were units that were sent to the previous distributor for certification purposes, they were essentially freebies. 

The UK6 has been updated a couple of times since, basically updating of components like the CCI filters and the new VTX wiring.

My demo unit was version 2, so the one KJ West One now have is the very latest (I delivered it to them a couple of weeks ago). 

There is actually a model called the Venom Amp 1 - but this is only available in Schuko. It has one outlet. I don't really have much experience with it I'm afraid. In my mind it would almost be better to use something like a Delta NR and plug it directly to the wall. This plug has something like 12 db of noise reduction and is very effective, the only issue is that you can't have the lid on since the IEC connector isn't the flat type (it contains a CCI filter). The Delta is very flexible though, nothing like the bigger snakes you've seen in the past! 

Cheers

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(05-Jul-2017, 15:33)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(05-Jul-2017, 14:41)Hifi_swlon Wrote: If there's ever an every-level power conditioner with uk plug sockets id go for a listen.  that is, more entry level than the current entry level. Smile

They have the new Venom UK6 which now has the updated CCIv3 filters and Trident module (which replaces the previous Gemini module and has better transient protection, noise reduction and fault detection) and it's an impressive piece of kit. It sounds quite a bit better than my demo unit!

In terms of noise reduction it delivers about 24db @ 1MHz (so a factor of 15) which puts it in the same league as the Denali 2000/T, although the Denali adds the QR/BB which is the technology that enhances the perception of dynamic impact and timing when connected to amplifiers and other high-current electronics. 

The best thing about the UK6 though is it's ability to provide massive amounts of current, in other words the filters don't impede the flow of current to the amplifier. It's relatively easy to make a filter that measures well in terms of noise reduction but it's much more challenging to do this without affecting instantaneous current delivery, which is where of course most mains conditioners fail when used with high power amplifiers.

Guillaume

Correction: the UK6 actually offers 26 db of noise reduction @ 1 MHz - this is by a factor of 20!  Big Grin

Here's a video literally just shot to show this:

Guillaume

UK
So Guillaume, am I correct in reading your comments here to mean that for a component like the Devialet, you would recommend Shunyata products that do not constrain instantaneous current delivery over those that prioritize noise reduction? I have been wondering whether the Denali 2000 or 6000 makes more sense for a Devialet.

And I'm very sorry I'm just checking into this thread today, as I was in London earlier in the week and thinking about stopping by KJ West One. If I'd known that they had the Shunyata gear in, I would have made it a priority!
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
Guillaume, do Shunyata offer an evaluation or 'trial' period on their power products? Or is that down to the dealers?

(I'm also considering getting an Ac line noise sniffer type device. I've read a few forums and have seen a few suggestions. The Entech one in the Shunyata video, audio prism, a few others. Anyone used one? If so, could you relate to the noise picked up on the device being proportional to the audio SQ - i.e. With and without conditioning?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(06-Jul-2017, 12:13)flohmann Wrote: So Guillaume, am I correct in reading your comments here to mean that for a component like the Devialet, you would recommend Shunyata products that do not constrain instantaneous current delivery over those that prioritize noise reduction? I have been wondering whether the Denali 2000 or 6000 makes more sense for a Devialet.

And I'm very sorry I'm just checking into this thread today, as I was in London earlier in the week and thinking about stopping by KJ West One. If I'd known that they had the Shunyata gear in, I would have made it a priority!

Hi flohmann,

Basically ALL Shunyata products are made to provide high levels of instantaneous current, from the entry level UK6 to the Denalis. They refer to this as DTCD (dynamic transient current delivery) and it is the foundation to all their products.

The Denali however takes things to the next level with a patented-pending technology called QR/BB.

QR/BB provides a local reserve of energy, or Coulomb charge, that mitigates the indicative reactance of the AC power line without using coils, transformers or capacitors (so no humming, heat etc). It essentially acts as an instantaneous energy reserve. I can give a lot more details than this if required and also the patent can be read online. Subjectively it can make your Devialet sound more powerful and more dynamic.

With the 2000 the main focus is on this. With the 6000 models (S and T) you get additional outlets which give access to the "med filters", which reduce noise by over 60 db @ 1 MHz (so a factor of a thousand!). This is what some hospitals are now using in the US.

Cheers,

Guillaume

UK
(06-Jul-2017, 12:34)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Guillaume, do Shunyata offer an evaluation or 'trial' period on their power products? Or is that down to the dealers?

(I'm also considering getting an Ac line noise sniffer type device. I've read a few forums and have seen a few suggestions. The Entech one in the Shunyata video, audio prism, a few others. Anyone used one? If so, could you relate to the noise picked up on the device being proportional to the audio SQ - i.e. With and without conditioning?

Yes of course! It's up to me and KJ West One. 

Rufus has a noise sniffer which we've used here in the past. The thing screamed its head off when near the Devialets.  Confused

I am hoping to get some of these tools in the near future, to measure both noise and instantaneous current. 

Guillaume

UK
LA few years ago I came to the conclusion that lifting heavy hi-fi wasn't a good idea any longer, and so started looking at lighter alternatives. Heavyweight Esoteric electronics and HRS Racks were replaced by Devialet and Quadraspire. Sound quality didn't suffer, in fact I was extremely happy with the change.
That left the three Shunyata Hydras (1 Triton & 2 Typhons) and the Vivid Audio G2s. I won't part with the G2s, unless I win the lottery, then I'd have a pair of G1 Spirits, but that's unlikely to happen.
I didn't think that there would ever be an alternative to the Hydras, I felt that they were an essential part of the system, but that wasn't taking into account the genius that is Shunyata's Caelin Gabriel.  
Shunyata announced the Denali, a single box at around half the weight of one of my Hydras, it seemed ideal. After several emails and phone calls between Guillaume and myself, I eventually ordered a Denali 6000T. I did consider upgrading the Triton v2 to v3, but I wanted fewer, and lighter, boxes and didn't need the eight outlets of the Triton any longer, the six of the Denali is ample.
The Denali in my system is a small step up from the Triton/Typhon x2, which is a remarkable achievement considering the high standard set by that combination and the cost and size of the Denali.
The downsides of the Denali are that it's only available in black, and the blue LED is far too bright, but the latter is easily remedied with a piece of tape.

I've deleted this part of the post as my opinion of the Shunyata prototype chain cable was seriously flawed because of a fault that has developed with my 1000 Pro.
Colin

Vivid Audio Giya G2s, Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Sonic Transporter i7, Sean Jacobs DC3 LPS, Marantz UD 7007.
Shunyata Denali, Alpha PC, Sigma PCs (x3) & Sigma Speaker Cables.
Quadraspire X Reference rack.

North East England
(07-Jul-2017, 17:06)Tremayne Wrote: Shunyata Alpha SPDIF digital cable which replaced the DHLabs Silver Sonic D110 hybrid Devialet chain cable in my 1000Pro.

I have experimented a lot with chaining the two Devialets. I found, and it seems that most people here also, that AES/EBU input sounds better when chaining. At the same time spdif coaxial was clearly superior to AES/EBU as far as the cable goes - I tried Oyaide 5N silver digital cables with are nearly identical parameters, except for the impedance of course. I used identical AES-RCA and RCA-AES adapter at the relevant ends. 

So I ended up using the Oyaide spdif with a converter at the companion end but I have already bought an AES/EBU plug and planning to replace the RCA at that end. I wouldn't want to DIY plugs on such an expensive cable as the Shunyata so my question is, do you compromise using the RCA-RCA connection or do you use an adapter which is another compromise?

Zoltan
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500