Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
(22-Mar-2015, 03:51)MountainGuy Wrote: Apologies but I have a neophyte question. Since I've not used any room correction whether via hardware or software, I realize that I can't grasp all of what each of your posts mean as I would need the hardware/software in had and actually try it to get the whole picture. 

But in short here are my neophyte question based on the fact that if I do get a Devialet system, I would be running the music off my Windows 8.1 laptop with a CD player attached.  

1. My understanding is that Devialet apparently does not plan to incorporate room correction capability in their systems.  Correct? 

2. However, aftermarket correction can be accomplished upstream of the Devialet? 

3. And this correction can be done via software or hardware.  Is this correct or must I get some type of hardware such as DSpeaker Antimode or miniDSP hardware?  

4. Is there a list somewhere of the credible room correction options?  And any sense if there are some that are generally accepted as being the most effective? 

And yes, I already do have some room treatment items though I've not fully utilized them.  My room is a small 11x13 feet room so it is a challenge.  I like balanced but deep bass extension for acoustic music which gives a realistic foundation. 

The all in one unit and SAM capability of the Devialet is very attractive.  

Thanks in advance for any help in understanding a bit more about room correction for a neophyte. 

Thanks again!
MtnGuy 

thumb5 is spot on in his comments.

Dirac has the problem that you can not use it's filter in a separate convolver. In other words you can't use a Dirac filter with Brutefir or the convolver in JRiver for example.

I use Audiolense for measurement and filter creation and I use the filters with both JRiver and Brutefir. For JRiver the filters can be used either directly in in the playback chain or with the JRiver DLNA (UPnP) server. For Brutefir I use BrutefirDrc, a plugin for Logitech Media Server.

There is quite a steep learning curve with all the room correction solutions. Dirac tries to make it easy and succeeds to a certain extent, but in the process they have limited flexibility by locking you in to playback only from the PC you have the application installed on. I never play music directly from a PC so this would not work for me. Dirac is compatible with miniDSP, but I believe this solution is limited in sample rate to 48kHz or maybe it is 96kHz. Anyway it will not handle 176.4 and 192kHz properly, i.e. without resampling.
The best would obviously be if Devialet has a convolver in the DSP of the amplifiers. That is where such processing belong. As with SAM. SAM would be rather difficult to handle both for users and Devialet if it was not integrated into the DSP/ADH core the way it is.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dirac and room correction software - by ogs - 22-Mar-2015, 11:04
Dirac and room correction software - by Krisp - 13-Jan-2016, 18:27