Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
(04-Dec-2015, 06:14)MountainGuy Wrote: Ian, not sure if you are still following this thread.  Do you still feel that the Dspeaker is more effective correting for bass than DIRAC? i've had a couple of people tell me that Dirac is more sophisticated and effective than DSpeaker - in almost all situations. 

Do you feel otherwise still?  Or can you comment on the strengths of Dspeaker vs Dirac software?  I'm actually thinkng of application for Phantoms. 

Thanks!

That's a difficult question to answer, because it's a long time since I tried Dirac and I have only a distant memory of how it sounded.  I didn't buy a licence after the trial, mainly because I felt it would be a nuisance to only have the room correction when playing music via my computer.  The DSPeaker was the easier solution to work with from a practical point of view, and I didn't do a lot of to-ing and fro-ing to compare them, really.  By the way, I did also look at the MiniDSP Dirac boxes which are quite appealing as well but the DSPeaker had a more flexible i/o configuration.

To follow up some of the points Rodney made about Dirac vs DSPeaker: the AntiMode 2.0 also has the capability for calibration based on multiple points (they call it "wide area" calibration), and you can add as many points as you want.  That's separate from the ability to calibrate for distinctly different listening positions, generating different profiles.  It also does full-range correction, although I haven't tried that and don't know the technical details of what corrections it can perform.  As Rodney said, both DSPeaker and Dirac do a good job and are pretty reasonably priced (in my view at least).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dirac and room correction software - by thumb5 - 05-Dec-2015, 16:58
Dirac and room correction software - by Krisp - 13-Jan-2016, 18:27