Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
(25-Jan-2016, 06:52)Rodney Gold Wrote: .
I also use the -6db attenuation rather than -10

I wish they had the clipping warning on the OSX version (like the Windows apparently has), so you actually had an idea how much headroom there was.
Not that I need it as even on quiet classical I'm rarely into the -25 area on the Devialet (with -7db on Dirac), but I'd just like to know!

In terms of my Dirac experimentation, I've kind of narrowed it down to two curves now pretty much.

One is the default, which I think actually sounds most natural in all areas, but lacks a bit of bass - it reduces the peaks I have which is a lot more apparent than adding the very lowest bass.  That bass not being there feels totally 'wrong' to me, even if it's technically 'right'.  

My other curve keeps more bass by either (a) just humping the bass up, (b) trying to follow the peaks of my bass as-is, or © ignores anything below about 50Hz - all of which feels 'better' in terms of bass but can sometimes add a bit of 'boxiness' to the sound.

Each time I think I've found a 'one curve suits all' solution, I listen to something and the bass seems too weak or too strong.  Ideally I'd like one curve as I run it headless and don't want to fiddle. In any case, the fixing of the upper bass/lower mids is the real issue, and it does this so well I really struggle to listen without it now, as everything sounds very 'thin' with Dirac off.  

I've also noticed when I toggle on/off, depending on music I find it quite a shock in each direction - when enabling Dirac, the mids are sorted and its all in balance and not too bright or thin, but that extra treble and all the room effect going away can make the music feel a bit lifeless to start with (life equalling a load of extra stuff in this case).  Toggling the other way and turning Dirac off, the soundstage seems to go wider and more ambience, but less focussed an image, and feels pretty thin in vocals etc.

So there's some playing to be done yet - my system sounds the best its ever sounded, but its also not as simple as I'd like.

One thing that's still bothering me is a lack of  'bass slam'.  Growing up mainly with electronic music, clubs etc, nothing my hifi does right now feels right in the respect that I dont 'feel' the bass beats.   I dont mean like a subwoofer going through my stomach and shaking the house type feeling, but I'd like the beats to slam home. According to the measurements, I apparently have more bass than I should have, but nothing 'hits' me. I feel like I could crank the bass EQ up to +8 or more on the Devialet on top of this even.  And still need some more.

So what's going on I wonder?  Is it I'm just used to 'club speakers', or more domestic 'ported speakers', or is it the transmission line of the PMCs, or is it the fact that I sit with a lot of open space behind me in the room?  Whatever it is, surely if the measurements say bass is there, it should be 'right' at my seat regardless of room setup?  Maybe I actually need 'lower-fi' for that kind of music?

I hate to say it, but I did actually walk past the Phantom on demo in Harrods last week, and think, mmmm, now thats a beat I could dance to! It was filling the whole room too…..

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
Dirac and room correction software - by Krisp - 13-Jan-2016, 18:27
RE: Dirac and room correction software - by Hifi_swlon - 25-Jan-2016, 12:10