Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dirac and room correction software
(01-Apr-2016, 05:41)tyefighter Wrote: So i have just placed an order for a MiniDSP UMIK-1... should be with me in a few days
is there any of you kind folks out there that would be willing to hold my hand through the whole room correction process?  pretty please Smile

It's very straightforward tyefighter - thats what's great about Dirac, they've put a lot of effort into taking away the complication from the users POV.

The one bit I was unsure about was the calibration file, which you download based on serial # once you get the mic. If you point at the speakers, you use the normal calibration, if you point at the ceiling, you use the 90 degree. Unfortunately there's a bit of confusion on the web which didnt help when I was reading about it. There also doesn't seem to be much consensus on which way to measure. I did it pointing at ceiling, if I do it again I might try 'at speakers' (although mine are relatively wide at listening position).

You plug in the mic and put it in the 'hero' position, on a mic stand.
start dirac
set volumes (start low on the amp and work your way up)
(remember to disable tone controls/SAM as required)
measure the hero position
then follow the diagram to do the other 8 positions (Dirac say avoid using too small an area)
save project fort those measurements, and build filter using its default target
save default target.
(experiment with other targets as required, saving the target and making a new filter for each).

test with the dirac audio processor
- load in your filters and then you can toggle between the different curves and between with and without Dirac.
If you care to, you can also adjust your attenuation and delay timings as required.

I found setting the volume with the white noise very distracting - it needed to go pretty loud for me, far louder than I ever use the amp. and i was barely into the green. But actually the measurements aren't too bad. Now I just use the white noise to 'test' it works and then use the volume I know is safe. The only other gotcha I found on a mac is when you use the Dirac gain to set the initial volume, it actually lowered the Macs system volume, which seemed a pretty sloppy way of doing it.

Anyway, writing it down makes it sound more complex than it is in reality.

Just be careful with the volume until you get used to it, and remember to turn it back down after measuring. Other than that I can't see what else you could do wring thats actually important. Give yourself time to have a couple of goes.

And you might need a USB extension cable for the mic - I did - its pretty short.

Good luck with it.

(also, note, I'm a novice in RC terms - RodneyG on this forum, and many others, are much more experienced so this is more of a noobs guide!)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
Dirac and room correction software - by Krisp - 13-Jan-2016, 18:27
RE: Dirac and room correction software - by Hifi_swlon - 01-Apr-2016, 10:00