Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM Specifications - +/-3db or +/-6db??
Well I don't pay that much attention to bass specs, since the room and position in the room affects the bass frequency response more than the speaker itself.
I had always thought that the standard bass data was -6dB relative to the level at 1kHz, but even then speakers have a very uneven frequency response compared to electronics, and depending on the FR trend of the speakers in question the difference between a -3dB point and the -6dB point is academic and almost meaningless to anybody who knows anything about acoustics.
Imagine a speaker with a 6dB bass hump, there are plenty about, then, looking at the decline of bass response curve the level will have to have dropped 9dB before it is -3dB relative to 1kHz. A really good speaker with even bass response will only be 3dB down its decline ramp at the same spec.

I hope a lot of the ridiculous Devialet marketing puff is poor translation. The 5000x better is probably distortion at 20Hz, which is likely to be true, since very very few speakers can go down to 20Hz, and will have no DSP correction in the bass anyway. 10% distortion is pretty common at the low limit of traditional speakers.

I have written that the Devialet web site is pitiful nowadays several times. Back when I became interested by the technology the web site gave good technical information was simple and easy to navigate.
Now the web site is almost impossible to navigate with stupid or missing links, and there is little or no complete useful technical information about any of the products.

It all went screen candy and no data after the bloke who owns Louis Vuitton invested, IMO. They seem to think the future lies in attracting brand-whores who are content to wear the Devialet tee-shirt rather than technically interested audiophiles.

Maybe they are right, there are certainly far more brand-whores than stereo buyers, particularly amongst youngsters.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
RE: SAM Specifications - +/-3db or +/-6db?? - by f1eng - 07-Apr-2015, 09:54