Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optimizing NAS & Router
Did a few tweaks this weekend and found substantial improvement.  Appreciate if anyone would share their experience Big Grin

My setup:
a) Source to Router: Windows 8.1 laptop (AIR) with itunes as music library software --> CAT 7 (just something ordinary from newegg) --> Router<-- CAT 7 oyaide neo 707 <-- Synology 214play
b) Router to Devialet: Router --> CAT 7 (just something ordinary from newegg) --> Devialet D120

Changes (in sequence):
1) Replace NAS HDD to SSD (Samsung 850 EVO 500gb)
2) Replace NAS PSU to Keces
3a) Add Furman 210 power conditioner for Keces (for NAS)
3b) Add Power Cables (DIY Belden 10a shielded) from outlet to Furman and Furman to Keces for NAS
4a) Add Linksys LGS 105 Giga switch (to connect only Computer, NAS, Devialet, input connect back to existing router)
4b) Replace Linksys LGS 105 PSU with Teddy Pardo 5v3a PSU
4c) Connect Teddy Pardo PSU (for linksys) to Furman 

What has made most improvement (total 10 points) as of now.
#1: 4pts to SSD
#2: 3pts to Furman
#3: 2pts to Keces
#4: 1pts to the Linksys LGS 105 PSU with Teddy Pardo 5v3a PSU

Seems like the improvement are in the order of my changes.  This may imply the system requires some burn-in.

Other tweaks considering:
1) Remove fan in the Synology
2) Add Ground box
3) Improve isolation platform / spikes / etc, not sure if this helps if fan is removed from synology. since there won't be any moving parts
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

SSDs bring significant improvement. But I'm wondering if the other tweaks brought less impact due to the rule of diminishing returns. Being done on top of previous tweaks that have improved the sound quality rendering all follow up tweaks marginal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE