Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
@Georgethesixth, I thought Devialet was using unicasting for streaming. AIR does know the exact IP address of the Devialet (and shows it, when it's connected). So, why would AIR need to broadcast messages? Well, that's a topic for a different thread (perhaps, one titled "Know your Devialet" Smile
I wonder what useful info you'd be able to gather with a network tap, even if you catch it at white noise act. How would you know if AIR sends "noise" packets to the Devialet, or if the noise originates in the Devialet itself (needless to say, I suspect the former). Perhaps, the packets would contain only 1's (no 0's) - that's what white noise is, is it not?
What I'm after is to check if there is some memory misuse on AIR's part. Would one see used RAM grow as one continues playing music? The procedure should be simple:
After playing music, open "Task Manager" and note the used memory. Shut down AIR, and see how much memory was released. Take these measurements for music sessions of various lengths. If longer sessions consistently result in AIR's increased memory consumption, there is a memory leak, which should be reported to Devialet.
Yet I'm not up to lengthy experiments. It's in our best interest to communicate our concerns to Devialet as soon as possible (and the more emails, the better), to start them actively working on this (and we've collectively identified the pattern: a prolonged streaming session). For Devialet to work on this issue would - arguably - be a better investment of effort than SAMifying the speakers that simply don't benefit from SAM.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by AlexS - 29-Jul-2014, 19:51
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58