Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(30-May-2015, 16:56)Confused Wrote: An update.   I had been running AIR 2.1.4 beta4 for a few weeks.  It was becoming more and more apparent that this version was rather prone to jitter, stuttering and other annoying artefacts.  As a positive, no white noise at all.  I have now returned back to AIR 2.1.4 beta1, this is also white noise free if I am careful with PC settings etc, and far less prone to jitter etc.

I understand how you can hear stuttering (although it does not happen to me with AIR 2.1.4 beta4), but how exactly do you detect jitter? So we speak the same language, here is a good definition of audio jitter I found on the Internet:
"inaccuracy in the timing of the "ticks" of the clock that transfers the samples of digital data into the D/A converter chip"
Given that Devilaet's Ethernet input is asynchrounous (meaning, the received data packets are sorted based on Devialet's own clock), I don't see how jitter can occur.
BTW, to fight stutters with JRiver (happened to me once), it's a good idea to increase both the size of pre-buffering, as well as the output buffer. Also, if you run an Antivirus or Windows Defender, those need a special treatment, not to interfere with JRiver.
Thank you for keeping this thread alive. I thought with AIR 2.1.4 beta4, it would soon be discontinued Smile
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II

Messages In This Thread
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by AlexS - 02-Jun-2015, 19:40