Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(27-Apr-2016, 19:31)Confused Wrote:
(26-Apr-2016, 23:11)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(26-Apr-2016, 14:53)Dr Tone Wrote: Next year it will be Frantically.
The following year it will be Desperately.

Well, assuming they're not lying to us (OK, OK, try and keep it together Wink) they're 'on the verge' of releasing the fruits of two years worth of 'feverishly dedicated' labour culminating in 'AIR3'.

If 'AIR3' doesn't work, there's pretty much no point worrying about next year or the year after....  at that point - if we didn't know already - we could safely conclude my thirteen year old cat would have a better chance of writing a functional Mac/Windows audio transport. They'll probably have an opening too...

Out of interest has anyone here been asked to beta test this new miracle? Do they even have beta testers?
I believe one or two of us on this forum have done a spot of beta testing.  Although this was more like alpha testing really, basically trying revised versions of AIR, and reporting back how exactly it failed and switched to white noise, then providing screen shots of the various Windows activities etc.  This culminated in the current beta 4, but I am not aware of any beta testing (or anything else happening) over the last year.

Wow, so several years of 'beta testing' resulting in a beta with similar issues. Not surprising as beta testers usually have a very interactive relationship with developers so they can report issues and try new tests.

I wish they'd hire someone in to do it for them. Some of the guys from Roon maybe - not as a Roon product but as a Devialet product. Their take on deveoplment is; they release an alpha internally until it has all the features they need and is reasonably stable in a contained environment, then they go to beta with all their forum team and other friends/helpers etc, and they just keep going until they seem to have ironed out as much as they can and no new bugs are cropping up. This part allegedly takes them about 4-5 frantic weeks. Then they release and wait for all the cases that can only be found with a wider audience and bigger range of network kit, DACs etc, and then they're into rounds of bug fixing trying to clear the issues affecting most people first. I'm sure other good companies follow the same approach and it really is the only way to work.

And where could Devialet find a reasonably large group of knowledgable, technically competent, and helpful Devialet owners to form some sort of beta test group? No idea really...... I'm sure there are some around somewhere....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by Hifi_swlon - 27-Apr-2016, 21:39