Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(07-Oct-2014, 15:35)AlexS Wrote: Gentlemen,
1) why are you even looking at the Wi-Fi card? Is it somehow utilized by the Ethernet input?
2) I have very little faith in that tuning the power saving settings of the network adapter might help with this issue. All the evidence I possess indirectly points to a memory corruption issue in either AIR itself, or some shared WASAPI buffer used by both AIR and the player. My reasoning: many of us observed that when the problem happens, unless you reboot the PC (or restart both AIR and the player?), it's likely to happen again within a SHORTER than usual time interval. I personally observed that in most of the instances the problem happened to me, I had forgotten to quit either AIR or the player (FooBar in my cases), prior to putting Windows to sleep, and did not restart them after waking it up. My conclusion: when those apps are awoken from sleep, some of the underlying WASAPI-related memory they're using gets corrupted. Also, to many this problem happens during long listening sessions. Again, this does NOT support the theory of configuration issues, but rather points to memory management. I know this is speculative, but makes more sense to me than the other theories, given the patterns of the problem.

I tend to agree with AlexS on this one. I restart AIR and the player (MC20) before every listening session. I've disabled Windows sleep. I still get the white noise. Only reason I look into the card settings is that Antoine does not experience white noise, but he has a direct ethernet connection to his Devialet. Mine is connected to the main network.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by ogs - 07-Oct-2014, 16:21
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58