Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(05-Nov-2014, 09:51)smokejumper Wrote: Alex, My meaning was not that the Devialet become a server of music, just that it should be a client capable of talking to a uPnP server on a computer. Many available streamers, bluray players and even TVs do this. You could still use eg JRiver, but you would see the Devialet as a device you could select to play on. This approach uses a well-defined interface which many devices already use, rather than the proprietary and lower level virtual soundcard approach. My fear is that if there is a bug in Windows at the root of all this white noise issue, MS might not see the weight of numbers of other users to bump it up to high priority.

Problem is that uPnP was never intended to be used in High End audio, but, as you say, in TVs and bluray - which is consumer grade. I believe that is why Devialet has tried to make a solution that has better sound quality. And uPnP requires quite a lot of processing in the player device. AIR is extremely good when it comes to sound quality. Of course that does not help very much if you get the white noise trouble, as I do in my setup. I still support Devialet's choice of trying to avoid uPnP.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by ogs - 05-Nov-2014, 10:21
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58