Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(03-Jan-2015, 13:49)Confused Wrote: As an update to my earlier posts, over the last week I have been using AIR 2.1.4-beta1 fairly extensively, with the soundcard GUI set to 16/44.1 and PC screensaver now disabled. (Using JRiver WASAPI the PC soundcard settings are ignored anyway). I have been using iTunes during periods where I wanted access to some of the playlists etc. that I have set up there, and JRiver WASAPI for the more serious listening where maximising sound quality is the priority. Zero white noise issues so far.

@Confused, so, no white noise with 16/44, but still some occurrences with 24/192, even with screensaver disabled? Please confirm.
Have you tried to disable the anti-virus?
The connection of the problem with screensaver is a mystery: mine is set to 10 mins, and I've never encountered even a hint of a hiccup in playback.
However, with JRiver, I've run into playback stutters due to Windows Defender's installing its latest virus definitions and running a scan. I've disabled this behavior, as well as automatic Windows updates.

Gentlemen, this thread was opened for white noise on Windows only. At that time, there had been no reports of a similar problem on the MAC. Just to make sure we're speaking of the same problem, white noise is very loud hissing sound, which occurs all of a sudden, and may or may not temporarily recover back to music.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by AlexS - 03-Jan-2015, 17:52
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58