Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(06-Jan-2015, 02:05)AlexS Wrote: But see what matters here is whether you can MANUALLY induce the problem. You're probably tired of testing by now, but if you could manually wake up the monitor from sleep, and that yielded white noise, then there is a direct relationship between the screen waking and the noise. On the hand, if this does not create the problem, it probably means there is a 3rd party process both waking the screen and causing the noise.
I understand the opposite (the monitor going to sleep) did not cause problems. Is that correct?

I get short dropouts (about 1 second) by waking the screen, probably about 25% of the times I wake the screen.
I get longer dropouts - 5-10 seconds when the screen power option turns the display off, but probably only about 5-10% of the time. The rest of the time I got similar-length dropouts after short period of time, usually within 1 minute of the screen turning off.

You mentioned process priority a bit earlier - that could well be a very large factor in this. Why do the likes of minimserver etc. perform faultlessly yet AIR doesn't? They're shifting similar amounts of data close to real time so there's no particular reason why AIR should suffer so badly.

The PC I'm testing in is fairly high spec by the way - well for one that's 3 years old! Intel i7 3.40GHz (moderately overclocked from that) and 16G of memory. Local disk is SSD.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by Rufus McDufus - 06-Jan-2015, 09:40
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58