Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(13-Feb-2015, 22:20)IanG-UK Wrote: Well, I have some interesting news on the white noise which has plagued me for months.

I run an Apple single source system ( = a nil source system for most of the last few months since I barely use it now knowing I will get perpetual heavy white noise after as little as 15 minutes) and it is essentially what Devialet use themselves and all line of sight. It could not be more compliant. And I can use either AIR wifi or AIR ethernet.

I've always used a couple of PS Audio PPPs as mains regenerators, positioned behind a dividing wall but in reality very close to my 800s.

Anyway, for reasons I won't bore you with, I've started using the kit without the PPPs.

Having tested this continuously over three days, I can report that the white noise is reduced by 80% - 90%. And once it starts (generally only on hi-res tracks) I can flip over to a 16/44.1 track and this generally clears the noise and within seconds I can return to 24/88.2 stuff on a noise free basis.

Whist the end result remains unacceptable, it is quite clearly substantially improved.

My technical knowledge here is minimal, but I venture to suggest that the "contribution" of the PPP comes from either significant SMPSs or high levels of RFI.

Indeed, when I reported this to Devialet they signalled that this would prove very useful information to their engineers which, on the one hand, is encouraging as it may speed up the delivery of a permanent solution but, on the other hand, is worrying in that this path had presumably not been explored by Devialet themselves. After all, without a PPP, Devialet can recreate this fault in their own offices.

Further testing and report later ...

Hi Ian,

Very happy to hear that you may have identified a possible cause for your white noise issue. Interesting to see whether others, who suffer this problem, also have mains re-generators of any description.

Fingers crossed for a permanent solution to a very long running saga, which seems to be confusing Devialets own engineers.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by brit - 13-Feb-2015, 22:37
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58