Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Passthrough output power loss?
Hey everyone,

With my D-Premier and now upgraded 250 I had my Front L/R pre-out channels sent from my receiver to the Dev and set that input to Bypass so the receiver could control the volume and the amp would run at fixed output.

It worked great until about a week ago...all of a sudden the front L/R channels barely get any gain on thinks input and I had to increase the levels a full 12db and reduce the center channel by 12db just to get close to matched levels and so they'd output anything remotely audible.

I also noticed during this process that even in Bypass mode, increasing the volume dial on the Dev itself will impact the Bass output (I have a sub out in use).

I thought maybe the receiver had an issue but I've tested the preouts with another amp and it works just fine. All other sources on the Dev output just fine as well (AIR, Mac mini over USB, external DAC analog out)

Is there something I can check to see if there's a problem or any configuration that might cause this?

Setup:
Marantz NR1602 L/R preout > Devialet 250 (Input setup for passthrough) > KEF LS50
SAM enabled
Input default volume -30db

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digital: ROON on Synology & SONOS Connect
Analog: Marantz TT-15s1 - ClearAudio Virtuoso MM Wood

Main: Devialet D250 - KEF LS50
Hi Adhesiv,

I had similiar problems with my Denon 4520 and Dev 250 setup. Honestly, I spent hours trying to figure out what exactly the issue was, and got so frustrated with it, that I just gave up.  Confused

I realize this doesn't help, but at least you are not alone...
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(24-Apr-2015, 09:36)baconbrain Wrote: Hi Adhesiv,

I had similiar problems with my Denon 4520 and Dev 250 setup. Honestly, I spent hours trying to figure out what exactly the issue was, and got so frustrated with it, that I just gave up.  Confused

What's weird is that it worked just fine and then one day it didn't.

(24-Apr-2015, 15:38)adhesiv Wrote:

Have you reported this to Devialet? I also use my dual monos in this manner and wouldn't be best pleased if this happened.

The thing that worries me though are the extremely high temperatures when in bypass/pass-thru mode which cannot be good for the longevity of the electronics.

Is 2 channel sounding fine with no loss of power?

Guillaume 
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
I ran my 800 like this for a while without problem but, like Guillaume I was concerned by the high temperatures run in this mode. I did a new configuration and with a standard analogue input for the TV and adjusted the Devialet volume control on this input until the surround sound levels were correct. Now I have the additional step of setting Devialet volume when going to this input, but it runs 20+ degrees cooler

I had used this method with the dual mono D-Premiers since I used the single analogue input with 3 sources and only the TV was variable volume.
Gaining the companion inputs with the 800 I dispensed with the analogue switch box but went back to the old D-Premier configuration recently both for heat and to use a phono>AES/EBU link between master and companion.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I second the high temperature problem in this case and think we should report this to Devialet support.
In the advanced configurator under special modes for the input what do you have the db set to? By default it's -15db but I set it to 0 and then ran the audessy setup on my AV receiver and the channel volume is fine across the channels.

Did you change the configuration at all or did it just stop working out of the blue?
(24-Apr-2015, 15:44)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(24-Apr-2015, 15:38)adhesiv Wrote:

Have you reported this to Devialet? I also use my dual monos in this manner and wouldn't be best pleased if this happened.

The thing that worries me though are the extremely high temperatures when in bypass/pass-thru mode which cannot be good for the longevity of the electronics.

Is 2 channel sounding fine with no loss of power?

Guillaume 

2 channel and all other sources appear to work just fine. This is the only input that seems to have an issue.

I'll be reporting g to Devialet this weekend as it seems there is a problem with Bypass in general.

(24-Apr-2015, 20:47)DJ 04 Wrote: In the advanced configurator under special modes for the input what do you have the db set to? By default it's -15db but I set it to 0 and then ran the audessy setup on my AV receiver and the channel volume is fine across the channels.

Did you change the configuration at all or did it just stop working out of the blue?

Mine is set at -15db like you point out but I don't recall ever changing that?!?

I'll experiment tomorrow and see if setting to 0db fixes the problem.

Thanks for the tip! Smile

So I couldn't wait....

Changing the value to 0db did the trick. I guess at some point I must've reverted it to default....why would anyone set a -15db gain or any change on a passthrough though?

Thanks for helping me sort this one out.