Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Spark/Firmware Bugs (v1.1.1+)
I know that some problems are discussed other threads (especially the pioneer program), but we don't seem to have a concise top-level thread focused on what are probable new bugs (especially since Firmware 1.1.1 was released to the Masses). So here's my Starter For Ten:

Burbling Optical Input on Dialog (BETA)
As soon as I had allowed the 1.1.1 updates through, a 3rd Optical input was available under Sparks' "Edit my Sources". So I took my optical lead out of the back of the Phantom and plugged it into the Dialog. Everything seemed fine... until about 5min later the sound rapidly deteriorated into an awful "purrrrr" or "burble". This happened all night long, requiring me to PAUSE/PLAY that input via Spark (v1.1.0) to clear the problem for another 5min. I'd say its probably a buffering problem, where the sound stream either hits the end-stops or runs out of free memory. Not criticism, just an unofficial bug report, and to alert other members.

(N.B. I am going to download Spark again in case this is an artifact of 1.1.0. This might not be the same as 1.1beta.)

UPDATE: I have now confirmed that this is a problem with 24/96 signal only (native or upsampled). 16/44 plays just fine... which is why people who stream from Internet music services won't experience it!
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(24-Apr-2015, 12:48)JohnnySix Wrote: I know that some problems are discussed other threads (especially the pioneer program), but we don't seem to have a concise top-level thread focused on what are probable new bugs (especially since Firmware 1.1.1 was released to the Masses). So here's my Starter For Ten:

Burbling Optical Input on Dialog (BETA)
As soon as I had allowed the 1.1.1 updates through, a 3rd Optical input was available under Sparks' "Edit my Sources". So I took my optical lead out of the back of the Phantom and plugged it into the Dialog. Everything seemed fine... until about 5min later the sound rapidly deteriorated into an awful "purrrrr" or "burble". This happened all night long, requiring me to PAUSE/PLAY that input via Spark (v1.1.0) to clear the problem for another 5min. As a Software Engineer, I'd say its probably a buffering problem, where the sound stream either hits the end-stops or runs out of free memory. Not criticism, just an unofficial bug report, and to alert other members.

(N.B. I am going to download Spark again in case this is an artifact of 1.1.0. This might not be the same as 1.1beta.)

Same here with 1.1.1 dialog +2 phantoms...

With only 1 phantom, sound is OK, but I soon as plug the other one and (redo) do the setup (very long process without memory from previous install), the sound is breaking a lot: not usable at all...

also hdmi on octava splitter to toslink: there is a huge delay between the video and the sound: cannot watch viedos so far.

I hope 1.1.2 will fix the issues!!!
I think it's important when we talk about Phantoms to identify what network devices we're using. That could make a significant difference especially where sound breakup is concerned.

I'm running two phantoms (1.1.1) connected by wifi to a dialog (1.1.1). The dialog is connected to an ASUS RT-AC86 which is also connected to Apple TV and a set top box. My RT-AC86 is connected with Aztech Homeplugs 1200mbps AV2 to my main pc. My AIFF files are stored on my main PC which runs spark.

One phantom is connected by an optical cable to an Apple Airport express. That express is connected to my ASUS.

Spark (new version refreshes very quickly indeed) on my ipad is then used to browse and play the AIFF files from my PC. I have no sound dropouts at all. The Phantoms play fine.

When I use Tidal on my ipad and use airplay to send the music to the airport express, the Phantoms play fine, but I have frequent sound dropouts...say 3 times per track.

When I use spotify ('highest' quality) on my ipad to play tracks I have almost no sound dropouts, but they do happen. Maybe once every 3 tracks?

When I use Deezer direct from Dialog it works fine with no sound dropouts (doesn't sound very good compared with spotify).

I haven't experimented with Tidal playing and someone streaming HD content via wifi on my home network. I think Spark is getting a bit too much abuse for something that works well on all the music I want to listen to. I wonder if Devialet hasn't had the opportunity to test it in numerous network scenarios.
My setup:

2 phantoms (1.1.1)
1 Dialog (1.1.1) connected via wire to a Asus ac66U router
1 Octava (http://www.amazon.com/Octava-Audio-switc...B009B2NCOE) :
(- Switch 4 HDMI sources to 1 output
- Convert HDMI Input Audio source to Optical Audio Format
- Switch directly from 4 Optical inputs to the Optical Output)
with optical toslink out to the Dialog.
1 Google Chromecast connected via HDMI to the Octava.
Using Google Play Music on a Mac (or Android), casting to the Google ChromeCast HDMI device, having Octavs sending to the optical audio.

The system is currently not usable with breaking in the sound, or left Dialog become mute, or the right one, randomly.
My setup is:
- 2 Silver Phantoms (1.1.1)
- 1 Dialog (1.1.1) (version that is on recall) is connected to router (ethernet) using Qobuz CD quality streaming
- 1 Apple Time Capsule (used as router)
- 2 Mac Mini (OSX 10.10.3)(ethernet) connected to router, both running Spark as file servers (MP3,320k; Apple lossless 16bit, 44100; Flac 24bit/96k and 24bit/192k)
- 3 AppleTV's (2nd gen), one connected with Toslink to Phantom
- 1 AppleTV (3rd gen) connected with Toslink to Dialog
- 1 Ipad Mini (2nd gen), Spark to control music, Spotify premium and Qobuz Hi-Fi to stream to AppleTV's

What works:
- Airplay streaming of iTunes files, Spotify and Qobuz to AppleTV connected to Phantom
- Qobuz on Spark
- streaming of MP3 and Apple.lossless files from MacMini's using Spark (ethernet connected)
- streaming of Flac 24bit/96k from MacMini's works most of the time (few dropouts and slow fast forward function (jumping within song))

Bugs:
- I had once Burbling Optical Input on Dialog, too
- playback of Flac 24bit/192k stops playing after 5s, trying to scroll in a song crashes Dialog, needs reboot and reconfig
- Volume change jumps from 9 to 10 in loudness (else is very smooth), this was not the case on fw 1.0.3.
- no gapless change between songs (annoying on live albums), should be a no-brainer to fix
- new song sometimes starts for 0.5s only on one Phantom (specifically when jumping to next song in Spark)

Room for improvements:
- show and sort songlist by genres (currently flat, therefore impossible to handle a long list of music)
- jump alphabetically in music list (see iTunes, or other streaming software)
- album info, artist info
- song quality (encoding, resolution, etc) info
- recently played list
- tag favorits
- make playlists (currently needs to be done in Qobuz PC or Ipad app)
- Spotify integration in Sparc
I have an Apple Time Machine, which is an airport with hard drive backup, bridged by ethernet to another Time machine on the other side of the house which is directly connected to the internet box via ethernet.
I have only tried 2 ways of working. Firstly using Spark to stream the music files which are on my Macbook Pro or iMac and secondly either the Macbook Pro or a CD transport connected to the optical digital input of one of the Phantoms.
I do own an Apple TV, and I suppose one would expect Airplay to be pretty stable given its age and provenance, but whilst I would expect it to work fine it seems to me to defeat the object of Spark.
The Dialog is about 0.8 meters from one Dialog and 3 meters from the other one and ethernet connected to the Time machine. The time machine is never used for backups whilst listening.

Playing via the optical input almost always works fine, and if it does not quitting and re-launching Spark usually seems to fix it.
Playing music files using Spark pretty well never works properly. High res files fail immediately or soon. Luckily I don't have many and I could always convert them to 44/16, but a bit of a faff. CD rips always have hesitations and/or momentary loss of channel at the beginning of every track.
One channel often stops working if I am using the iMac (which is dedicated to music, so has the most music on its HD) and I have more and longer hesitations at the beginning of tracks, one channel stopping only happens sometimes with the laptop. Quitting and re-launching Spark usually fixes this, earlier releases seemed to need the whole setup repeated.

I do not use internet streaming, such as deezer and qobuz.

Summary, Spark is OK as a setup tool and volume control for directly connected sources. Spark is not acceptable (to me) for streaming from a computer.

So far my Phantom system is not acceptable for domestic audio enjoyment. I always give up with Phantom sooner or later and go back to my normal system so I can actually listen to music rather than play about with equipment...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I'd like to clarify that I have found the 1.1.1 upgrade a most welcome improvement overall. Just the way that the dialog and phantoms can re-connect after my nightly dialog power down without re-setup is a blessing. However, I must point out that my contentment is entirely founded on Optical input to the back of a Phantom, so that I can use the JRiver's excellent Theater Mode instead of the extremely basic Spark player (HATE having to ADD tracks & albums to a playlist first!). I don't stream from internet music services. For the record I have:

- 2 Phantoms on stands next to new-batch Dialog in modest living room (all 1.1.1 f/w)
- Mac Mini 2012 (Win8.1) feeding TOSLINK out to one Phantom
- Dialog attached to Asus RT-AC66U network via Devolo AV500 power line adaptors
- Music streamed from Synology NAS over 600Mb/s Wifi link to MacMini
- All music up sampled by JRiver to 24/96
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Does anyone know of a planned release date for Spark on Windows Phones?
(29-Apr-2015, 17:24)JohnTitor Wrote: Does anyone know of a planned release date for Spark on Windows Phones?

I think (and this is a total guess work) that Devialet like many other developers are deprioretizing developing for Windows Mobile platform.

Having said that,I believe the recent announcement of Windows 10 should be good news as the new windows platform will allow android and iOS apps to run on Windows 10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Unfortunately, I have just confirmed the 5min burbling problem is still present with 24/96 material in firmware update 1.1.2.0. They probably aren't even aware of it, I suppose. Would be low down on the list anyway since 24/96 streams OK over the network. (On mine at least).