Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phantoms and home cinema
It seeems the phantoms are good speakers for music. A lot of people are pleased when they listen to music with these speakers.
But when it comes to home cinema, because of the delay problem, the phantoms are useless.

What do you think?
Who uses the phantoms with a home cinema setup?
Is it hopeless?
I guess one day or another there will be a dialog with HDMI.
For the moment one could try with -for exemple- an oppo103+vanity MOD+coaxial to optical spdif and use 4 phantoms as "dumb" digital active speakers.
(05-May-2015, 09:08)fgueho Wrote: It seeems the phantoms are good speakers for music. A lot of people are pleased when they listen to music with these speakers.
But when it comes to home cinema, because of the delay problem, the phantoms are useless.

What do you think?
Who uses the phantoms with a home cinema setup?
Is it hopeless?

I hardly see how the home cinema situation can really improve. The delay you get between image and sound is due to the audio streaming buffer + the signal processing inside phantom ( SAM etc ... ).

This takes time to perform and imo can't be reduced to an acceptable delay which would be one video frame max = 40 ms

The delay I currently get sounds like a good Elvis Presley echo, which is probably around 200 ms. Just rough guess here. I will measure and post exact number.

This video is very convenient to perform sync tests. Just play the Youtube video on your smart TV and send the optical audio output from TV to Phantom/Dialog
I currently have two setups connected to my TV/satellite receiver:
1. a pair of ADAM Audio ARTist 6 and a Sub7
the Sub 7 is connected to my satellite receiver using RCA cable and the ARTist6s are connected to the Sub7 with XRL cable
2. a pair of Devialet Silver Phantoms
my TV (Samsung UA55H8000)'s optical output is connected to one of the Phantoms (I have not really tested the Dialog's optical input yet)

While there was indeed a pretty sizable delay until this afternoon, it has been greatly reduced since the update to firmware 1.1.2.0, there is almost no delay on satellite programs now.
I have an on/off footswitch connected to the ADAMs so it is easy to check, the echo between both speaker sets is nearly gone; the Phantoms are still very slightly behind but nothing comparable to before.
I am watching the evening news right now and there is no apparent delay between the picture and sound.

I have yet to try a videogame or Blu-ray since the update so I cannot comment on those
I would be very interested to have your feedbacks with the new update.
Thanks, all.
(05-May-2015, 16:53)EvPa Wrote: I currently have two setups connected to my TV/satellite receiver:
1. a pair of ADAM Audio ARTist 6 and a Sub7
the Sub 7 is connected to my satellite receiver using RCA cable and the ARTist6s are connected to the Sub7 with XRL cable
2. a pair of Devialet Silver Phantoms
my TV (Samsung UA55H8000)'s optical output is connected to one of the Phantoms (I have not really tested the Dialog's optical input yet)

While there was indeed a pretty sizable delay until this afternoon, it has been greatly reduced since the update to firmware 1.1.2.0, there is almost no delay on satellite programs now.
I have an on/off footswitch connected to the ADAMs so it is easy to check, the echo between both speaker sets is nearly gone; the Phantoms are still very slightly behind but nothing comparable to before.
I am watching the evening news right now and there is no apparent delay between the picture and sound.

I have yet to try a videogame or Blu-ray since the update so I cannot comment on those

I also have a pair of Silver Phantoms as front speakers with digital input via the Dialog from an AV processor and the delay is little different to the previous setup with 'normal' speakers.
I have even managed to sync a pair of Phantoms as surround speakers with digital input via one of those Phantoms from the AV processor.

When it works, its the best surround setup I have ever had.  The front and rears do occasionally get out of sync which is normally resolved by dropping and re-selecting the appropriate digital inputs to the appropriate room play queues via Spark.
I can confirm that the delay/latency has been significantly reduced in firmware 1.1.2. I estimate it has shrunk to around 25-30% of what it was. I wouldn't say it's perfect - having spent hours experimenting with sync-shifting - but it HAS achieved a level that I find acceptable with live TV sent from Tivo optical output to Dialog Optical In. Thank you Devialet!

Unfortunately, there's still an unacceptable delay of >200ms when I try to digitise the Front channels of my Marantz AV7005 and pass that into the Phantoms.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Well it's a shame because I want to use an Av Receiver too.
I fear it will be the exact same problem...
The delay is noticeable with 1.1.2 and I agree that it's better, but any delay has ruled out home cinema for me. As another post put it, you need the DIALOG box to control and delay the video image as processing the audio takes time (As Sonos demonstrates).
I think it will all be sorted when we see a DIALOG box with an HDMI input.
Is this delay constant?
If so, it should be possible to set a constant delay in the AV Receiver or in the video source (blu-ray player or HTPC)...

What do you think?