Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move from 200 to 400
Some other member here on the forum got me thinking of geting a "companion" to my 200.

You who have gone from 200 -> 400 what was your expirience and what was the most significant changes in the sound?

I currently have Focal Electra 1038Be (no SAM yet) wich I consider easy driven and I really like the sound they produce right now but what do you think will be the biggest change in the sound driving them with a 400?

/Fredrik
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

In a nut shell, you get a bigger sound stage, better dynamics and presence.

And it is not additional power. It is simply more musicality and fidelity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(10-May-2015, 18:54)octaviars Wrote: Some other member here on the forum got me thinking of geting a "companion" to my 200.

You who have gone from 200 -> 400 what was your expirience and what was the most significant changes in the sound?

I currently have Focal Electra 1038Be (no SAM yet) wich I consider easy driven and I really like the sound they produce right now but what do you think will be the biggest change in the sound driving them with a 400?

/Fredrik

I guess I am the 'some other', sorry Wink Fredrik to tell you about this and it is like I said and others that last on the list of advantages is the power increase.
And, there is no way back after the mono experience.

Now, let Olle set up a demo/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
As amabrok and Mikeeo have said, the 400 seems to add something to the 200 other than more power. Even at low volumes, it seems to improve resolution and musicality (not that they're in short supply with a 200). I was quite sceptical until I heard it in my own system, but it is not a subtle change.

I think if you try it, you'll like it!
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
There are of course other versatility benefits including doubling up on the number of phono, line, and USB inputs, and the use of mono-blocks is much more than just increased power.
(10-May-2015, 20:17)Mikeeo Wrote:
(10-May-2015, 18:54)octaviars Wrote: Some other member here on the forum got me thinking of geting a "companion" to my 200.

/Fredrik

I guess I am the 'some other', sorry Wink Fredrik to tell you about this and it is like I said and others that last on the list of advantages is the power increase.

You are the other one Mike.......I have sent Olle a email about a companion to my 200 now it is just for me to se the pricetag on that and decide if I will take the step and go mono Big Grin 

/Fredrik  
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

(11-May-2015, 12:44)Nemal1 Wrote: There are of course other versatility benefits including doubling up on the number of phono, line, and USB inputs, and the use of mono-blocks is much more than just increased power.

Well I used that however didn't need it for some time and I only use the master as input unit. If you'd like to do that please remember that you can't run the AES/EBU dig in from the master as this option will close these connections. To me using the AES/EBU input on the companion is mandatory for best SQ and coherence between units.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(11-May-2015, 16:34)octaviars Wrote:
(10-May-2015, 20:17)Mikeeo Wrote:

/Fredrik

You are the other one Mike.......I have sent Olle a email about a companion to my 200 now it is just for me to se the pricetag on that and decide if I will take the step and go mono Big Grin 

/Fredrik  

Well Fredrik, just for the sake of good hifi sense before committing to buy (GHSBC2B) have a home demo or at least make the comparison in the shop!

Best of luck explaining the second chrome 'pizza' box on the wall or the equipment bench Wink May the good WAF be with you!

/Mike
Made the call today and order a 200 companion, will pick it up tomorrow Smile I think this is going to be a really good upgrade.

Second system

(01-Jun-2015, 15:00)octaviars Wrote: Made the call today and order a 200 companion, will pick it up tomorrow Smile I think this is going to be a really good upgrade.

Any progress?

To go to a 400, can one use another 200, or it has to be a 200 slave unit ?
Devailet 200, Lumin A1, Magico S5, Kimber ks6063, Rockport Capella, Benz Micro Ruby, Kimber ks1026