Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running in time of slave
Hi,

For you that did like me started with a 170/200 (240/250) and then later added a slave:
Have you like me experienced a difference between units? As my previous unit has been playing since November last year and the slave only have 100 or so hours I guess it is a matter of breaking in, or!?
I even changed/configured them so I switched right/left channel though slave kept its sound signature.
I experience slight less openness, dynamics and power output from the slave, any one else noticed this?
I use the connector cable (Crystal cable coaxial) supplied by Devialet

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
The difference you hear may be a function of speaker differences (have you swapped them around?) or, even more likely, room differences. Unless you have a perfectly symmetrical room, there is likely to be a difference because of reflection and absorption factors which can effect transparency, dynamics and balance.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Hi,

Thanks for the response! Perhaps I didn't reach out with the info but I swapped the units with the effect still there and my room is symmetrical.

Best/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Hi Mikeo

I have very similar experience to you, my master 200 is about the same age and for the first few nights the slave was awful. It is getting much better very quickly, after about 30 hours things are very much better. I have found that before listening properly I put a CD or 24 bit download on at low volume whilst I'm doing other things. Given this hour gentle warm up I get a much more stable coherent sound stage and equal left right balance. Given that part of the amplification chain is still analogue this must be expected, but once warmed up things can be magical.

Cheers Andy
I noticed similar with my new slave (250). Day 1, from stone cold, it sounded slightly rough, although it improved somewhat over the first two hours. it took about three weekends serious use to start to sound as it should, at first I thought the detail and resolution were not quite as good as with the demo unit I had borrowed previously, but over time this improved. Interestingly, the slave ran about 4 degrees hotter than the master for the first week or so, this is now settled down, with the slave and the master typically within one degree of each other after half an hour or so running. The improvement in sound quality appears to have occurred at the same time as the temperature differences settling down.
Hello Mikeeo - a few months in now, what are your conclusions about running in time? Did the companion end up sounding as good as the master? And if I may ask, what are your overall thoughts on the 400 vs 200?

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(27-Oct-2014, 21:09)thumb5 Wrote: Hello Mikeeo - a few months in now, what are your conclusions about running in time? Did the companion end up sounding as good as the master? And if I may ask, what are your overall thoughts on the 400 vs 200?

Ian

Hi,

As I moved house and the units where at sleep for about 1 1/2 month plus a lot of other stuff being fixed/updated on the system I am not sure if time has been long enough. BUT I have something to say at least and that is that the companion now sounds on par with the master. However the biggest change came from installing another link than the supplied Crystal cable.
Now both units seem to be in phase with each other. I guess I have some 300 hours on the companion.
Advantage compared 200: Bigger soundscape, depth, resolution, effortless dynamics, it seems like the Devs never have to struggle and the background is so pitch black. Even vinyl benefits from this. In all fairness I now have the system hooked up to a dedicated mains system which of course really made things a lot better.
As I said before on this forum after going mono I wouldn't like to go back to 200 but a 200 is amazing and will give much of the 400 as long as the loudspeakers don't have to tricky load.

/Mike
Thanks Mike, that's interesting to know.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(28-Oct-2014, 01:05)Mikeeo Wrote:
(27-Oct-2014, 21:09)thumb5 Wrote: Hello Mikeeo - a few months in now, what are your conclusions about running in time? Did the companion end up sounding as good as the master? And if I may ask, what are your overall thoughts on the 400 vs 200?

Ian

Hi,

As I moved house and the units where at sleep for about 1 1/2 month plus a lot of other stuff being fixed/updated on the system I am not sure if time has been long enough. BUT I have something to say at least and that is that the companion now sounds on par with the master. However the biggest change came from installing another link than the supplied Crystal cable.
Now both units seem to be in phase with each other. I guess I have some 300 hours on the companion.
Advantage compared 200: Bigger soundscape, depth, resolution, effortless dynamics, it seems like the Devs never have to struggle and the background is so pitch black. Even vinyl benefits from this. In all fairness I now have the system hooked up to a dedicated mains system which of course really made things a lot better.
As I said before on this forum after going mono I wouldn't like to go back to 200 but a 200 is amazing and will give much of the 400 as long as the loudspeakers don't have to tricky load.

/Mike

Hi Mikeeo

What is the new link you use now instead of the one supplied by Devialet? And like you have outlined already, there seem to be so many changes in your system since you moved to your new place, so how much of the sound quality improvement would you attribute to installing the new link?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(16-Nov-2014, 07:34)amabrok Wrote:
(28-Oct-2014, 01:05)Mikeeo Wrote:

Ian

Hi,

/Mike

Hi Mikeeo

What is the new link you use now instead of the one supplied by Devialet? And like you have outlined already, there seem to be so many changes in your system since you moved to your new place, so how much of the sound quality improvement would you attribute to installing the new link?

Hi,

Its true that a lot of things changed. But for the link it was only a matter of getting better synchronizing (lower latency as Dev is talking about) between units. With the Crystal cable one channel seemed to be behind, out of phase and just not so 'clear'.
I have a 'half' diy cable ie I bought VH audios silver coaxial 75 ohm cable. Plugs in both ends are Eichmann Silver Bullets soldered and packaged by me.
However as some have recommended to go the Devialet preferred way ie RCA-XLR I am now about to order an Audioprana RCA-XLR. This cable has a 75 to 110 ohm converter and on paper that will do a lot good plus the fact that the AES/EBU input on the Dev is better according to both Dev and users. The Audioprana is also a full silver conductor, cryo'd and packaged in only natural materials with Silver Bullets and Neutrik XLR. The Nuetrik XLR is not the version I want so I will send my Silver Neutrik XLR to Audioprana. I guess from sending my plug it will take some 2 weeks to get it. I will also order it with wooden plug covers. In the world of hi end prices the outlay is quite low, about 260 Euros.

I will let you now asap it is in my system.

/Mike