Poll: Which streaming input sounds best to you?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
USB
35.40%
57 35.40%
AIR WiFi
14.29%
23 14.29%
AIR Ethernet
44.10%
71 44.10%
UPnP
6.21%
10 6.21%
Total 161 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Which streaming input on the Devialet sounds best to you?
(09-Dec-2014, 21:24)johnsap Wrote:
(09-Dec-2014, 16:10)GuillaumeB Wrote: I'm not altogether surprised by your findings. I owned a MiND 180 for almost a year. A few months ago when I decided to revisit AIR I was actually surprised at how good AIR sounded, dare I say better than the MiND. Yes AIR seems more transparent and definitely "brighter" than the MiND.

Take a look at this thread where I posted my findings:

http://devialetchat.com/Thread-Mac-AIR-v...-d1-server

Guillaume

Thank you for the pointer !
--
I also started thinking to try out different digital cables to see whether it can improve the sound.
I initially though that Nordost Valhalla is a good choice here, but apparently no the best one in my settings.

After my Moon mind experience, I started questioning the appraised AES/EBU input of Devialet.
Do you use a RCA-XLR cable to connect your Master and Slave units ? or RCA-RCA.
It seems like everybody is confused about using 75 vs 110 cables here...
---
Can you please suggest if the situation with SQ improves with Devialet 800 in comparison to 250 ?
I have a feeling that when playing D250 at low sound level, I want the sound to be more detailed, but currently with my D 250 set-up at low levels it may sound like losing the details a bit.
Is it something other owners experience?
I have speakers rated 4 Ohm, but maximum 400 watt.
I do not intent to play them at maximum, but rather looking the improvement in sound quality at lower levels.

I use Transparent's top of the range Ref XL digital cables, both between my totaldac streamer and Master, and between Master and Companion (S/PDIF). Previously I used the TA XL AES/EBU between MiND 180 and Master and was very pleased with the results. With the totaldac the SQ is better than AIR.

The 800 is a LOT better than the 250. Not just in terms of power but also fluidity and musicality at all levels. Some of this will be dependant on speakers though.

When I auditioned all the different Devialet models over a year ago I found that there were clear improvements as I worked my way up the range. The biggest jump was from 240 to 500. And this was without fancy cables or other tweaks.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which streaming input on the Devialet sounds best to you? - by GuillaumeB - 09-Dec-2014, 22:10