Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does anyone use subwoofers in their setup?
Ive been reading the book "Get better sound" by Jim Smith after seeing heaps of positive reviews on it.

in the book it mentions that using subwoofers helps not only the low notes but higher ones too and provides a much bigger soundstage and also that 2 subs should be run one ideally behind each speaker.

So for anyone that doesnt have a woofer in their speakers - who runs subwoofers and how did you feel like it impacted on your system as a whole?
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I do (one JL Audio) and agree with Jim Smith on all counts. Setting it up -optimally- isn't really easy though (or at least if one's a perfectionist like I am Wink) and requires one to go through a steep learning curve or of course find a very good dealer with plenty of experience in that field.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
For more details on my setup and how I set it up read the posts on the first page of this topic: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=46
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
being the dealer i cant rely on anyone else to set this up Tongue however his book is very informative on easy ways to set up speakers! plus ill be running dirac soon so that should make my life a little easier when it comes to figuring out the correct sub position.

how do you find the JL sub?

ive just had a distributor get in touch with me and JL is one of his brands ill be getting access to.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I think the JL is brilliant. It's relatively compact (but very heavy), looks great and it's a real power house. It has a sealed cabinet, low distortion. I can no longer enjoy music the way I do now without it: I don't notice it while it's on but sorely miss it when it's off. Smile With this I mean that it blends in well and doesn't stand out on it's own.

Like many audiophiles I've had my fair share of preconceptions/prejudices about subwoofers. How could one subwoofer improve my $30k Von Schweikert's, well I was so wrong! It's very high on the list of things of "best money spent". Smile

This article I read not long a ago mentions some of those preconceptions: http://audiophilereview.com/subwoofers/w...ofers.html

This is the number one argument for me: "even if you're using a big pair of tower speakers, you're probably not getting good bass. Why? Because you have to position your tower speakers where they'll deliver the best stereo imaging -- which is not where they'll deliver the smoothest bass response. Measure the frequency response in your listening chair and you'll see how uneven your bass is."

Plenty is written about subs but I found this to be a nice resource too: http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm and http://www.soundoctor.com/testcd/

The Netherlands
There's a reason I put Get Better Sound in my signature as part of my system. Best money ever spent!
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
tis a nifty little book!

im still yet to get through it all
I have the book too!

In my setup I have stereo JL Audio F110’s with Raidho C1.1’s and the D400, using an 85hz 4th order crossover. It works great, I love it. The subs integrate so well. As far as JL Audio, the Fathom line is very fast and musical. Build quality is extremely high. I preferred the F110’s over the F112’s or F113’s (in a medium size room at least), they disappear better and are not at all intrusive to the main speakers. The D400 is helping a lot too I think, the F110’s did not sound nearly this good in my prior system.
D440CI (Audio Prana XLR-RCA); Nordost Frey; Raidho C1.2; Artcoustic Impact-1 SL subs (4); VPI Scout; Oppo BDP-205; Roon Nucleus+; Shunyata Alpha and PC10 cabling; Stillpoint Ultra SS
Hi all,
Must agree with the discussion so far, there is an overall improvement not just the bottom end when using a "good" sub. I bought a Velodyne DD12 when I ran Wilson Benesch Arc's. Used it with success when I changed to PMC OB1's. Now I have C60's after a lot of adjusting of the comprehensive settings on the DD12 I got it integrated quite well but would really like a WB Torus, so if there is anyone out there wants to sell theirs!!!
Cheers
Bill.
Devialet 1000pro C1. Aurender N10 Wilson Benesch A.C.T. ONE Evolution P1 Naim headline Naim highcap Sennheiser HD 800 Naim Super Lumina speaker cable. Shunyata Delta EF mains cables. 2 PSI AVAA C20 active acoustic absorbers.
(02-Jun-2015, 12:42)Antoine Wrote: Plenty is written about subs but I found this to be a nice resource too: http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm and http://www.soundoctor.com/testcd/

Antoine --

Thanks for this link—one of the better pieces of audio advice I've read in a long, long time.  I've ordered his CD and will give his technique a try.

He emphasizes the importance of aligning the phase of the sub and mains and suggests several techniques.  It's pretty simple if your using a Surround processor—you can simply change the distance of the sub & mains and then tweak with the phase knob. But on a 2-channel system, even with a crossover, it's not so easy.  He suggests moving the sub much closer to the listening position, but this violates my living room WAF.

I wonder if there is a custom Devialet setting that could introduce a group delay to the main speakers.  Have you come across this?

Thanks,
muski