Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does anyone use subwoofers in their setup?
(31-Jul-2015, 15:50)Stigmater Wrote: Great news, output delay is finally implemented in to configurator,
its measured in microseconds (µs) which is one millionth of a second.

First, I'm so impressed by the responsiveness of the Devialet team in adding this feature...

Stigmata, you're correct—indeed it is in microseconds. Before this feature was fully implemented, the wonderful Devialet support team kindly made me a hand-crafted config file with a 3 millisecond delay on my mains. So just to confirm things, I loaded this file into the Configurator and saw it as 3000.

I suggest looking at the methodology proposed by Barry at  http://www.soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm. He recommends setting the mains delay a little high (say 10ms) then using the Phase knob on the sub to slightly delay it to match the mains. (He uses a brilliant trick of playing an 80Hz tone through the sub and a reverse-polarity main and adjusting the phase until the sub & main cancel each other out.)

The problem is that many subs don't have a Phase dial (they just have absolute polarity), plus I just don't like the idea of over-delaying the mains and the sub. As a next step, I'd love to see Devialet add a feature to allow realtime adjustment of the delay with the remote. Then you wouldn't need a phase dial on the sub (or a remote helper to twiddle the knob). You could sit in your listening position and adjust the delay until they matched perfectly. And because the delay setting is in microseconds, there'd be enough granularity to get it spot on. I've never heard of a 2-channel device that can do this.

So amazing what you can do with an audio device when it's got such a powerful processing power inside.

muski

Messages In This Thread
RE: does anyone use subwoofers in their setup? - by muski - 01-Aug-2015, 11:37