Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does anyone use subwoofers in their setup?
(05-Aug-2015, 23:16)Antoine Wrote: You need to apply the delay to the fronts, not the sub (assuming your sub is near to your fronts/mains). It's the sub and any DSP in and/or in front of it that "lags".

A stepless phase control really would be best. During setup in my system I've noticed there's a real small "window" where things are optimal, just the tiniest change of the dial would again result in an out of phase setting again. (it's a bit like tuning to a radio station)

If there's no stepless phase control available I'd rely on the frequency amplitude measurements of a tool like REW (sounddoctor also mentions this). There you would look for the highest amplitude at the crossover frequency with the different subwoofer phase options to determine the phase setting nearest to optimal.

Devialet implementing a real time setting of the delay option so that we can change while listening, or even better doing real time measuring would indeed be very useful.

Ok, so in essence phase is another possibility to adjust timing. What throws me off is that one would think if the delay settings were correct to begin with then you could leave phase at 0?
My subwoofer is closer to my listening position than the mains and for that reason I am applying the delay to the preout for the sw.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack

Messages In This Thread
RE: does anyone use subwoofers in their setup? - by baconbrain - 06-Aug-2015, 06:32