Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
does anyone use subwoofers in their setup?
I had a pair of SVS SB2000 subs in my system for a year. It drastically helped my system when I had speakers that needed the "support" on the low end. I sold them when I bought my current speakers as the benefits were simply too minor to justify them (for they types of music I listen to most frequently). That being said, when I did have them there was a continual tweaking and testing going on - it was a lot of fun. Cross over frequency: I had ranged anywhere from 40 Hz to 200 Hz; XO Slope mixed and matched 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th. Sub placement and measurement with REQ. There were always room modes so getting smooth response at listening position (even with multiple subs) was rough. I wound up getting a frequency response +/- 5dB at the listening position from 20 - 500 Hz finally with some home made bass traps. As for phase I simply used a string to ensure the distance to listening position was always the same.
Devialet 400; KEF Reference 3; custom built Server 2012 with JRiver & Audiophile Optimizer; med grade wall socket; 10 AWG speaker cable bi-wire & un-terminated; AudioQuest Carbon USB with Jitterbug; Shunyata Venom 3 power cables.

Messages In This Thread
RE: does anyone use subwoofers in their setup? - by Matthew - 31-Oct-2015, 18:40