Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S/PDIF to AES/EBU with 110ohm cable.
(18-Jun-2015, 13:30)octaviars Wrote: I also got answer today from Devialet.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your message.
In our daisy chain topology, impedance mismatch is absolutely not an issue at all. Our units are immune to it.
We prefer to adapt the impedance at the master's output, so we definitely recommend 75R coax cable plus a coax to xlr adaptor located on the companion unit. This works very well and is rather inexpensive. 110R cable is fine too but is more expensive.
Best regards,

But this did not answer really my questions so I asked if there were any advantage to use a 110 ohm cable regardless of the cost.

Dear Fredrik,
The difference between the two is very slight so the end choice will depend on your personal preferences.
But really according to our experience, the 75ohm coax performs very well.

I think that they will not tell you what is the best solution, but I now know that you can go with ither cable directly to the xlr input on the slave.

Fredrik,

Many moons ago Thierry said that it would be beneficial to use their suggested hybrid set up for a connector cable between mono units as on display on the homepage but I do not know if it is still there. However at the same time Thierry said that 110 ohm cable would be the best option and I quote him and myself from earlier forum input, "The input AES/EBU is 110 ohm and if using a 110 ohm cable the input will recognize this better than a 75  ohm cable", something like that was what Thierry told me. Anyway, now it seems like they say 75 ohm instead. In my opinion I think it does not matter as the output is supposed to be 75 ohm (I doubt it will be to a stable std as it is a female RCA) and the input is 110 ohm so some kind of mix I guess. Buy the way, making a hybrid cable ie RCA to XLR (AES/EBU) and not using adaptor will ripe sonic benefits. Some adaptors are only hybrid ie semi balanced with no transformer or there are the likes of Neutrik with built in 75/110 ohm conversion. Thierry advice against having another transformer in the signal line as the AES/EBU input is already transformer coupled.
So my take on this is, use what ever 110 or 75 ohm cable (easier with 75 as it is easier to connect to the XLR in a semi balanced way), apply good connectors and very good soldering skills. Or you could go ahead and order a Cabledyne silver coax 75 ohm in semi configured wiring ie RCA to XLR.

As we live pretty close to each other you could come and pick up my Cabledyne to try out in your system while I am away during July.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK

Messages In This Thread
RE: S/PDIF to AES/EBU with 110ohm cable. - by Mikeeo - 19-Jun-2015, 11:28