Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best SAM'd bookshelf speakers around $5000
Welcome,

I've always been a fan of small speakers that 'outperform' for their size. I also like audio systems that don't dominate a room, but that is because my hi-fi has always been part of the living room. As such, I still have a pair of the original ProAc Tablettes and Opera Operetta stand-mounts.

Since I bought my D120 in Feb, I have been browsing for a similar speaker. My thoughts were that the KEF LS50 is very good, and the SAM profile is a bonus. I liked it, but preferred the others that I listened to subsequently . The Athom GT-1 is very good, and with SAM, gives remarkable sound, and with a D200 can fill a room at reasonable volumes. The Revel M106 is also quite nice, and a bit softer in presentation. They are well under your budget, I think. Two others that I would certainly recommend are the new (I think) PMC mini monitor DB1 Gold was very impressive. They also make a 20 series, but I have not seen or heard it. Finally, the Totem Element Ember or Fire are also very good. The non-element series is more ordinary to me but they are still very good.

I think that the location is a big factor in small speakers, so, perhaps, the front-port of a speaker like the PMC would be well suited to your location.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best SAM'd bookshelf speakers around $5000 - by Damon - 17-Jun-2015, 15:43