Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power direct from the wall, or Power Conditioner?
(28-Jun-2015, 17:12)f1eng Wrote:
(28-Jun-2015, 14:05)Manoet Wrote: Speakers are 90dB@1W/1M so not super efficient but no slouches either. What I was saying and just re-read and can't understand how it might have been misunderstood is that at full volume and paused it is as dead silent as when powered down. It couldn't be any blacker/quieter.

I think what Pim was observing was that, like yours, his Devialet is quiet but without using loads of special plugs and wires anywhere, just cheap connection blocks.
Mine is too.
A very expensive strategy of getting power to a Devialet is certainly not necessary from the point of view of noise. Whether there is any other benefit, otoh, I will never know.
My 'strategy' does include turning off all lights and the TV (which I use as the display for my Mac mini) I really can't tell if it's the lack of grunge from the tv and dimmers/fluros or just because you pay more attention when you can't see but I can say I've had my most enjoyable sessions like that.

I'm not using fancy power cords but I can imagine that a well shielded cable can prevent grunge from the cable to enter the unit as an electromagnetic wave around the connector. Grunge coming in through the wires itself should be filtered out by the power supply and clearly they are with Devialet otherwise you would hear noise when you turn it up.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Power direct from the wall, or Power Conditioner? - by Pim - 29-Jun-2015, 11:42