Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power direct from the wall, or Power Conditioner?
One of the guys in our local audio group of 5 just got his Cyclops V2 6 or so weeks back and of course we hacked into it 2 weeks after showing up. He's the only one in our group that's not retired yet and doesn't have time to build his own passive system like the rest of us. All of us question the CV 2's 'passivity' due to its internal componentry but if Caelin says so who are we to argue!?! Aside from that it's certainly dead quiet! Far quieter than the Hydra I was using years ago! Last weekend he brought it over and and borrowed one of my new back-up GTX-D outlets in rhodium and we installed it in place of the OEM Shunyata receptacle... I think its called a Z1 or something like that... appeared to be nickel-plated brass? I also swapped out his 20A IEC inlet with a spare F'tech 20A Rhodium IEC I had for an upcoming project. Took less than an hour all-told even with very minor metal cutting/grinding to mate the new IEC inlet to the V2. We then hooked it up to the D200 here. He "thought" it sounded better, quieter but couldn't say for sure till he got home, let everything burn a couple hundred hours then listen critically at his place for a couple weeks. Within a few days he was ecstatic! Says its far better than pre-modification! He said "best waste of a warranty he's ever done!" I told him all that's fine but there's this small matter of a F'tech GTX-D and a FI-33R 20A IEC. He said "I have new ones here for you but I'm holding them ransom till you come over and listen." The right answer and opportunity to mooch someone else's food and liquor!

As an aside the FI-50 carbon fiber 120V AC male plugs will interfere with each other when plugged into the Shunyata/Hubbell CV 2 outlet! Both can't be seated fully in either 120V receptacle at the same time and can't be parallel to each other when plugged in therefore remain in a slight V-configuration and partially "out-of-socket." We didn't find this out until after installing the GTX-D into the CV 2 which easily accommodate both simultaneously.

And as you likely know the FI-50 IEC housings won't fit under the Dev rear cover but its a worthwhile trade-off. Since mines wall mounted behind and half above/half below my roll-top desk I can't see the missing cover anyway
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Power direct from the wall, or Power Conditioner? - by Manoet - 30-Jun-2015, 12:27