Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom impressions
[/quote]
Hmm. Can't relate to much of anything you are saying here. They are way better than my B&W's which if I'm not to be rude are outside your price bracket by a large margin. But hey, I respect your opinion, but I can't agree with any of the negatives you imagine to be there.
[/quote]

Sorry if I'm being thin-skinned, but there's a better way to express respect for someone's opinion than saying that those opinions/observations are "imagined to be there." I wanted to like and buy (eventually when they became available in the US) the Phantoms but it didn't work out. I shared my observations on why I wouldn't purchase them at least right now, given the multitude of problems. And the dealer and I spent close to two hours with the Phantom, including extensive trial and error to try to isolate the cause of the weird noise. So in terms of what I said about operational problems, including the static-y/scratchy noise, those aren't even opinions, they are factual observations. Perhaps they aren't the whole picture, perhaps they are explained by factors unknown to me (and the dealer), perhaps they don't matter to others, perhaps (quite possibly!) they'll be fixed in the future, but they are what they are, I definitely didn't "imagine" them.

I didn't mention in the original post (as it would've been a bit off-topic) that I also spent quite a bit of time auditioning the Magico S1 speakers at the same dealer. The S1's are in a different league in terms of transparency and soundstage. They're three times the price of the pair of Phantoms, so it wouldn't even be a fair comparison which is also why I didn't make one. But my point here is only that Devialet's marketing is over the top, not that the speakers aren't a technical marvel, which they absolutely are.

BTW I have extensively auditioned B&W speakers in the past, including the PM1 and the 805 Diamond. I realize B&W has considerable heritage when it comes to recording monitors, but I didn't find either of the models I auditioned to be compelling, especially given their prices. In my opinion B&W has decided to become the Bose of the high-end category, and most of its speakers and headphones go for mass appeal (but at an appropriately non-mass-market price point!), often with boosted bass, rather than accuracy and sonic truth. So it's hardly my reference point for speakers, although I still think their higher-range speakers sound better overall than the Phantom.

Messages In This Thread
Phantom impressions - by 02nz - 27-Jun-2015, 22:00
RE: Phantom impressions - by fgueho - 27-Jun-2015, 23:26
RE: Phantom impressions - by stonedragon - 27-Jun-2015, 23:32
RE: Phantom impressions - by 02nz - 27-Jun-2015, 23:55
RE: Phantom impressions - by MountainGuy - 28-Jun-2015, 07:06
Phantom impressions - by davidadamson - 28-Jun-2015, 17:46
RE: Phantom impressions - by invader - 28-Jun-2015, 19:03
RE: Phantom impressions - by Rodrat2 - 28-Jun-2015, 19:33
RE: Phantom impressions - by stonedragon - 28-Jun-2015, 22:22
RE: Phantom impressions - by fgueho - 29-Jun-2015, 10:59
RE: Phantom impressions - by Vivialet - 29-Jun-2015, 12:18