Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early impressions, musings & pondering a Sub addition
(02-Jul-2015, 21:58)f1eng Wrote: There are plenty of people who can give better advice than I wrt computer audio, but don't be surprised to hear differences in sound quality between recordings on a high quality setup like yours.
There is a vast difference between both the competence and the taste of recording engineers. Microphone choice and placement, followed by how the sound is mixed varies hugely and makes a big difference to the sq of a release.

HiFi enthusiasts often debate whether high res sounds better than CD, and there are still plenty of LP lovers, but IME the quality of the original recording makes a far bigger difference than the medium we listen on.
I have absolutely fantastic sounding CDs and some real dogs. I have some lovely sounding LPs but plenty of poor ones, and I have high res files who's sound quality is nothing special.

So hearing a difference in SQ in different recordings is not a fault in your equipment but the inevitable result of it being revealing.

Very true!  Very often, I find some poorly recorded material actually sounds better in the car than on the more revealing system at home.  Although I had an odd experience last week, I listened to something in the car that was clearly a poor recording.  Out of interest, I had a listen to the same track at home. It was still obviously a poor recording, but actually far more enjoyable to listen to! which surprised me a bit.

I think this kind of stuff can send you bonkers, so I take the view that you should spend some time setting your system up and making sure you're happy with everything, but once done, have peace of mind, forget about it and enjoy some tunes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Early impressions, musings & pondering a Sub addition - by Confused - 02-Jul-2015, 22:10