Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantom white vs silver + general impressions
(11-Jul-2015, 09:04)Confused Wrote: Some earlier comments suggested that the white and silver sound the same.  The above information would suggest that on the margins at least, there will be some subtle differences.  It also occurs to me that in normal use the amplifiers in the silver will be operating well within their design margins, gently cruising, or lots of "headroom" in audiophile speak.  Conversely, the amplifiers in the white will inevitably be working much harder, for the same required volume.  There are plenty of cases of amplifiers sounding harsher when pushed, and indeed some examples of amplifiers sounding a little dead at very low volumes when not pushed hard enough.  How much difference will this make between Phanoms?  To be honest I have no idea.  Instinctively though, I would have thought that this will indeed make a difference, although of what absolute magnitude I'm not sure.  The best way to judge would be to have a listen.

Don't you think that for frequencies above that where the DSP is needing to compensate for the natural roll off they both will be cruising? 750 watts into a normal speaker is already quite a lot and I would guess that none of the extra power is ever needed into the coaxial unit and only into the lower frequencies for the 2 bass units require the power to begin to be boosted by SAM.
I don't know the crossover frequency to the bass units, or the frequency at which Sam needs to kick in though...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom white vs silver + general impressions - by f1eng - 11-Jul-2015, 13:53