Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantom white vs silver + general impressions
(22-Jul-2015, 18:03)Novak Wrote: Hello again, it has been nearly two weeks with the white Phantom now. Really pleased with how it's sounding, and working.

I don't know if there's any burn in, but things have improved to my ears. It's most likely down to positioning – It's on a sturdy stool around 50cm high which suits my listening position. I'm getting many pleasant surprises as I go through the collection, and it complements my natural sounding (and more 'delicate and refined' sounding) Jadis / Harbeth main system, with the more full range, gutsy sound which you can throw anything at.

I find for lower volumes I like the night feature, which takes some of the bass out and reveals the detail and mid range a little better in my room. When past 40 or 45, it really opens up and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I think (as per other comments) the bass is a bit too much at lower levels otherwise, but the night feature solves it for me.

I agree with other views around giving it some space and a sturdy stand, but I counter some arguments that you need two to get a good sound. Depends on the music, I'm finding some acoustic / folkish music to sound sublime with one channel, almost like the singer is there in the room.

Anyway, really pleased.

Thanks.  You mentioned that the Jadis/Harbeth are more delicate and refined.  When you set the Phamton on night feature so that bass is less, does the gap in delicacy and refinement close? 

I can only have one system and had decided against it for a more conventional system for the better mids.  But now rethinking it as the system I would have is much larger (floorstander) and less flexible along with less bass extension.  So we are now leaning towards Phantom again for its flexibility and bass extension. The question is how much of the mid/bass quality are we giving up.  We are hoping it will be worthwhile trade off. 

To be able to move a system easily from room to room is a boon.  No way we could do that with a 80 lbs amp, pair of 40 lbs speakers, cables, Dac etc.  Just too much work. But with the Phantom, can just lift two large spheres and replug in another room. 

MtnGuy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phantom white vs silver + general impressions - by MountainGuy - 22-Jul-2015, 20:24