Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What were your previous systems (prior to the Phantoms)?
(18-Jul-2015, 12:33)alandbush Wrote: ATC 50A SLs active monitors apparently much liked by many recording studios and artists.

To put into context,  I had owned these since 1994 with three ATC upgrades over the years that improved bass, mid and tweeters.  They now have new owners.

In my case, it's all about the range and quality of the bass.

Having started using EQ and discovering 'hidden' bass that transformed most music and films,  I have, within money and time constraints, searched for the best mix for my own taste.
I never really found this with the ATCs and a REL sub and I baulked at the idea of trying multiple subs etc. etc.
My listening space, 5m x 3.5m, is not dedicated and I am limited to speaker positioning.

However, the Phantoms have provided the solution and deliver all that I require for bass, without the need for a sub!, together with mids and highs that better the ATCs.

The following scores reflect my comparison of Silver Phantoms against the ATCs via Phantom optical, as per the OPs request

4 Soundstage nb - still to determine the best speaker position
8 Clarity
8 Timbre
9 Dynamism
7 low volume musical presentation nb - not something I do often  Big Grin

Caveat - I have used EQ the past few years and continue to do so.  The Phantom bass is considerably controlled to suit my taste and to a lesser degree the mids.

Its a good job you didn't post this on Pink Fish certain people would be calling for your head on a stake Big Grin
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers

Messages In This Thread
RE: What were your previous systems (prior to the Phantoms)? - by NickB - 18-Jul-2015, 14:26