Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Describe the Devialet Sound
Hi Brian,

I had tube gear years ago, and then spent about 10 years or more with Naim equipment. I like tubes, and I had some excellent time using McIntosh, Leek, Dynaco (heavily modified) tube amps in integrated, power and mono-block formations. I eventually found that I preferred the cleaner, more rhythmic sound of the Naim equipment. Tube gear was still pleasing, but I did not want to go back to it. As a bass player esp, tubes did not do it for me. Granted, I did not spend time with ARC or other expensive tube setups, but I was not swayed by Pathos, Jadis, Cary, or even newer McIntosh tube gear.

The background story is just to set up a bit of context for my descriptive terms. I heard the Devialet and it was exactly what I wanted. For me, the Devialet gives sound that is exceptionally clear and uncoloured. It has a 3D sense to the notes, without fuzz or overhang, that I have not heard from other gear. It is also extremely revealing and neutral. Music comes out of the Devialet with an ease and nuance that I, personally, have not heard before. In addition, the bass extension, control and detail is beyond any other amp I've heard, including massive Classe mono blocks. These are my opinions and descriptions, so I'm not looking to start a debate or challenge anyone else's opinions.

I don't think there are many amps that have better resolution or clarity of expression, so I disagree with your dealer on that point. Curiously, the local dealer here who has McIntosh amps (big stacks of them with a wall of blue meters) quietly agreed with me when I mentioned my take on the Dev-Mac comparison.

I'll point out that I have not spent years going from dealer to dealer listening to a huge range of products. In fact, I'd say that many others here and elsewhere have much more experience than I do, and are certainly much more educated as to what is available. It is also true that I have not heard any of the gear that you list as your current system.

But I suggest you search for threads from about eight months ago, that have Devialet (vs or v) Einsten tube amps; v the best; v Parasound/ Pass; v Naim superuniti. There are some very good posts there from others who came to Devialet from other brands; F1eng and PhilP come to mind as two who have made a number of very good posts about what they like about Devialet. Their posts were very helpful to me when I was in the pre-purchase stage.

I am surprised that your dealer won't do or allow a home demo. The Devialet is nothing if not easy to move around. But if a 'fuller' sound is to your liking, then perhaps the Devialet would not be the right amp. To me, fullness is either in the recording or it is not; having it added by the system is not my preference. Some here have tweaked away, in spite of the limited opportunities for doing so (again, IMHO). I don't think it is a system for folks who like to fuss with the gear. It is not to everyone's taste, just as we all have different speaker preferences.

Sorry for the long post; it's either play here, or go back to work.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
Describe the Devialet Sound - by BrianT - 29-Jul-2015, 01:30
RE: Describe the Devialet Sound - by BrianT - 29-Jul-2015, 23:36
RE: Describe the Devialet Sound - by Damon - 30-Jul-2015, 00:43
RE: Describe the Devialet Sound - by f1eng - 30-Jul-2015, 17:31
RE: Describe the Devialet Sound - by Damon - 30-Jul-2015, 18:32
RE: Describe the Devialet Sound - by BrianT - 01-Aug-2015, 00:15
RE: Describe the Devialet Sound - by BrianT - 03-Aug-2015, 19:56
RE: Describe the Devialet Sound - by Pim - 05-Aug-2015, 05:27
RE: Describe the Devialet Sound - by Nemal1 - 04-Aug-2015, 11:40