Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The BIG weekend tweak!
(02-Aug-2015, 15:43)bentrider Wrote: From the website cut and paste:

Chassis carved out of a single aluminium block

Is aluminium a special alloy, French for aluminum, or a typo?   Wink Big Grin

for which model do you get this?

Because my understanding is that the D Premier and the D 250 are different from that perspective than the D200 and D120.

if you look at the remote you can also see a difference.

I'm finding the quote about a single aluminium block on the D800 or D250 pages but not on the 400, 200 nor 120.

I know that for the 200 and the 120 they used solutions that are less expensive to manufacture: for instance the shapes do not have the curves of the D-Premier D250, but instead flat surfaces that are easier and less costly to manufacture.

It is very possible also that they went for a material less expensive for the D200 and D120 (brass based alloy with aluminum coating explaining what Manoet analysis is showing) while the D Premier and D250 are a solid bloc of aluminium miled and hand polished....

Just an hypothesis, but that would make a lot of sense to me.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(02-Aug-2015, 17:34)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(02-Aug-2015, 15:43)bentrider Wrote: From the website cut and paste:

Chassis carved out of a single aluminium block

Is aluminium a special alloy, French for aluminum, or a typo?   Wink Big Grin

for which model do you get this?

Because my understanding is that the D Premier and the D 250 are different from that perspective than the D200 and D120.

if you look at the remote you can also see a difference.

I'm finding the quote about a single aluminium block on the D800 or D250 pages but not on the 400, 200 nor 120.

I know that for the 200 and the 120 they used solutions that are less expensive to manufacture: for instance the shapes do not have the curves of the D-Premier D250, but instead flat surfaces that are easier and less costly to manufacture.

It is very possible also that they went for a material less expensive for the D200 and D120 (brass based alloy with aluminum coating explaining what Manoet analysis is showing) while the D Premier and D250 are a solid bloc of aluminium miled and hand polished....

Just an hypothesis, but that would make a lot of sense to me.

Jean-Marie
Well I did not look carefully enough... the single aluminum bloc is also quoted on the detailed specs for the 120, the 200 and the 400, so my bad.

The only difference remains hand polished for the D Premier and D250.....
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Very easy to get confused.  I think the Devialet website is a mess. I hate using it.

Quote is from this link for the  200.  http://en.devialet.com/expert/#models/ex...ge/le-200/

Right under the package contents and right above dimensions.

Le 200 - complete technical specifications

Packaging contents:
•1 Devialet Expert – Le 200 ◦1 Expert Remote (3 AAA LR03 1.5V batteries)
◦1 power cable – adapted to the country

•1 SD card for downloading configurations via the Configurator
•User's manual for Devialet Expert – Le 200
•1 warranty booklet (5 years)
•1 microfiber cloth
•1 pair of gloves for handling

Chassis carved out of a single aluminium block:
    I have never been so happy to be so wrong in my entire life! It is indeed aluminum!! My bad. Now I'm again reasonably convinced I can hit my minimum target of 10*C cooler temps especially in the power supply temp sensor. Its a popularly held notion that each 10*C reduction in temps doubles a component's life and I was clinging to that since I've intentionally thrown all hopes of future warranty away. And now with anodizing back in the plan, along my plans for adding passive convection cooling is going to go a long way insuring I see nearer the 12-16*C 'idealistic' reduction I had originally hoped for. And I'm confident convection cooling lowering the power supply temps will also go a long way dropping the digital/analog board temps. A nice cooling Newtonian breeze blowing across things that costs nothing. This is truly win/win for me. YES!!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
I understand the influence of temperature on component life (especially caps) as I had one of the early Pass Labs amps which was great for a few years but then slowly deteriorated. But some circuits perform optimal at higher than room temperature. My D250 is better sounding if it is playing for at least 20 mins. So how much reduction is optimal?
Ideally I'd like to see temps in the 27*C range across-the-board. Doesn't mean I can achieve it! I can't achieve it now even in standby overnight. You're absolutely correct that temps can affect SQ positively or negatively... some components like hotter, some prefer cooler. My plan plan is for using an identical count of 6mm holes (maybe 6-12) instead of slots at inlets & outlets. That way I can use small black tapered rubber stoppers on the inlet side hidden underneath at rear of bottom cover to fine tune incoming air varying amounts. Intuitively I believe that will also be more efficient for me with wall mount than same setup as a table mount.
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(02-Aug-2015, 18:18)Manoet Wrote: I have never been so happy to be so wrong in my entire life! It is indeed aluminum!! My bad. Now I'm again reasonably convinced I can hit my minimum target of 10*C cooler temps especially in the power supply temp sensor. Its a popularly held notion that each 10*C reduction in temps doubles a component's life and I was clinging to that since I've intentionally thrown all hopes of future warranty away. And now with anodizing back in the plan, along my plans for adding passive convection cooling is going to go a long way insuring I see nearer the 12-16*C 'idealistic' reduction I had originally hoped for. And I'm confident convection cooling lowering the power supply temps will also go a long way dropping the digital/analog board temps. A nice cooling Newtonian breeze blowing across things that costs nothing. This is truly win/win for me. YES!!

Manoet,

Not that this is that important, but given your experience with Aluminium, I would be interested if you could elaborate on why you were brought to think that it was not (I understood that it was based on density) and therefore since it is, why is it so dense to drive you mislead you. Must me something not that obvious that I'm curious about.

Thanks a lot,

Jean-Marie
France
Jean-Marie, It's a valid question but I'm unsure if I'm able to answer satisfactorily for you as I can't even for myself. It just felt so heavy to me for it's size & mass when stripped to its core. Still does! Maybe I'm weaker than I believed. Or I'm losing it. As I said in an earlier post if it were to have felt only a percentage heavier or even double I might not have noticed. But to have felt like a component made from a metal over 3X as heavy as it should is puzzling to me. I have no explanation behind that and apparently have no business guesstimating weights or the heft of an object these days. Old age, senility, prattle-mindedness, amnesia? It's crossed my mind.
(02-Aug-2015, 10:37)NickB Wrote:
(02-Aug-2015, 08:56)completeluxury Wrote: nick any reason you seem particularly aggressive to manoet?

your speakers are heavy because they have drivers in them, nothing to do with the aluminium.

i get that you dont agree with the way he thinks, but feel free to leave well enough alone. if you antagonise him every chance you get people will begin to look at you in a negative light and be less open to helping you if you actually need it sometime.

Manoet might get to the end of his tweakend (im trademarking that ps its mine) and go oops im an idiot it was actually aluminium all along, but guaranteed he will tell us either way so lets just see what the outcome is.

Not at all aggressive and the weight of my speakers has very little to do with the drivers. They are heavy because they are made of 1/2 inch thick aluminium which is very heavy stuff.

(02-Aug-2015, 10:55)completeluxury Wrote: what the hell! are they custom?

So not so far out in my aggressive assertion that it is Aluminium then Angel 

No they are not custom they are Magico S5 made from extruded 1/2 inch thick aluminium and weigh 87 KG each, so I don't move them much !!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
nick i never said you were wrong. you just seem a bit grumpy when you respond to manoet!

And at 87kg i can imagine i wouldnt want to move them much either! hope you hit the right speaker positioning early on
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)