Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To DPM or not? That is the question.
I don't have a 400 but I leave it off on my 200 as I noticed immediately a lack of dynamics with it on. It affects transients, leading/trailing edges, the strike of a key, the pluck of a string, the punch of a drum and their subsequent decay. Hard to describe but it feels like I lose the immediacy of the initial strike, pluck and punch at the beginning and the decay ends sooner than it should. Sounds synthetic, unreal and lacking most true-to-source realism. I've had similar problems related to AC power in other places I lived when I was younger. Places where I could only get 108 volts AC instead of the 120V advertised. Also on under-gauged power cords coupled with high powered amps and as I've said recently with PEM filters. I especially became aware of it on the Devialet only after activating DPM... not before. DPM on/off for whatever reason is VERY easy for me to hear and at my age 'hearing' isn't what it used to be and the sole reason I sold all my 192k equipment 2-3 years ago. But DPM on/off to me is night & day!

I only use a single source so the best config to my ears tends to be as near as right-gutta-the-box-new with as few changes as possible. I've dallied all over the map but the closer I stay to home in that regard, the better things sound to me. But unquestionably DPM is my biggest nemesis SQ-wise and the very first thing I'll be comparing upon reassembly with no PEM installed. I do want to like it but so far its been a total no-go!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
To DPM or not? That is the question. - by miro - 20-Aug-2015, 00:55
RE: To DPM or not? That is the question. - by Manoet - 20-Aug-2015, 03:53
To DPM or not? That is the question. - by no32 - 16-Nov-2017, 22:27