Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audiophile Mains Conditioners and PowerLine Connection (PLC)
Here are my thoughts on this. Maybe someone will point out that this is all wrong.

If you have a filter which cuts out high frequency noise (and high frequency signals) it effectively is a short circuit for high frequency. So HF signals between the Dialog and Phantoms are short circuited, whether or not they plugged into the filter. So a HF filter nearby on the mains is going to limit HF signals over the mains.

The presence of such a filter will offer a low HF impedance to the D and Ps which in turn may be a problem for the signalling circuitry - this depends on the design of the D and Ps hardware. (Imaging the effect of putting a short across speaker wires!)

I had a problem of drop-outs when I moved my Phantoms into a different room from my Dialog. I had thought that the 6 m separation was the problem, but now that you have raised this problem I realise that I had a mains filter working in the room where I had the Phantoms; and the were attached to the same socket as my filter, but not through it.

Mind you, I think having a filter is a waste of time for my mains. When I can be bothered I'll remove it. Any good it did is dwarfed by the improvement brought about by using Phantoms!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Audiophile Mains Conditioners and PowerLine Connection (PLC) - by andrew_brown - 30-Sep-2015, 20:15