Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2-3 week inspection & PSU temp comparison
I wish our onboard temps sensors had better resolution. I never know when a number is showing, say 30C if its 30, 30.1, 30.01 30.5 etc or if its 30.9 or 30.99. No way of knowing if when I get a degree drop if it really dropped .1, .01 degree or .9 or .99 degree. I'm sure its something that could be done with a FW upgrade but I won't hold my breath. The primary reason I'd like that is I've done things that I thought should easily net me a degree or two but doesn't. Conversely I've done things I didn't think would do anything and netted two degrees! When I removed the OEM thermal pad layout I used for testing I also removed the single largish pad I've been using since reassembly between the power board and cover. I replaced it with a 2mm wide sliver of thermal transfer pad thinking this would allow a lot more air 'thru' the PSU cover. Originally I wanted to eliminate that pad altogether but its required due to the ceramic heat generating pad being free-floating. Without a small piece of heat transfer between it and the heat-generating pad on front there would be nothing to prevent it from moving away from the identical large thermal pad in the rear which is the ceiling of the Devialet where heat is conducted into the Devialet aluminum case in quadrant 3 on the D's top surface. What I achieved by doing that was a whopping two degree temp reduction!! Down from 29/29/31 to 27/28/29. What I was hoping was maybe a single degree reduction in the GUI or even a half degree that I'd never know I'd gotten due to lack of sensor resolution. Now did I really get a full 2 degree decrease, maybe more or just over a single degree decrease? Frustrating not knowing as it makes trending much more difficult.

Last night before going to bed I set up the following test. I lowered my room thermostat from 78*F/25.55*C to 76*F/24.44*C and reversed the summer "pull" direction of my 4-speed ceiling fan to "push" and raised its speed from #1 to #3.

This pic shows the only sliver of thermal pad remaining in my PSU on the top side:

Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2-3 week inspection & PSU temp comparison - by Manoet - 18-Oct-2015, 16:08