Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turntable and Devialet Question
(09-Aug-2014, 16:45)Krorghar Wrote: Simptoms: Only one channel sounds.

First suspect: one of the channel outputs of the preamp is dead.

Test: swapped the cables and now the other channel is sounding, so if I'm not wrong here, the preamp exits are good. And also it must be the devialet (or not?)

Second suspect: the cable is broken

Test: used another cable and got the same problem .. only one channel is sounding.

What exactly do you mean by "swapped the cables" in the description of your first test? I can think of several possibilities including:

1) Swapped the connections at one end of the cable only (either the Devialet or the preamp) so that what was connected to the R channel is now connected to the L channel and vice versa.

If that's what you meant, it suggests to me that you're only getting output from one channel of your preamp.

2) Swapped the connections at both ends of the cable (so R on the preamp is still connected to R on the Devialet, and L to L).

If that's what you meant, it suggests to me that the cable is broken. But that's not consistent with…

3) Replaced the cable with another one (i.e. your second test).

Since you're getting sound out of both channels of the Devialet, albeit in different tests, I think the Devialet is OK but it's only seeing input on one channel in each test.

In short, I tend to agree with Frank's diagnosis that one channel of your preamp might be dead. Or maybe one of the connections to the cartridge has come adrift? Do you get anything at all out of the other channel (noise, hum, …)?

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
Turntable and Devialet Question - by Krorghar - 08-Aug-2014, 22:51
RE: Turntable and Devialet Question - by Eddye - 09-Aug-2014, 06:14
RE: Turntable and Devialet Question - by Eddye - 09-Aug-2014, 09:50
RE: Turntable and Devialet Question - by f1eng - 09-Aug-2014, 13:14
RE: Turntable and Devialet Question - by thumb5 - 09-Aug-2014, 17:02
RE: Turntable and Devialet Question - by Eddye - 09-Aug-2014, 16:57