Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco users - what app?
Hi Guys

I worked out another option for controlling the Melco yesterday.

I used to use Roon or Jriver/Jremote before the Melco and the Kinsky or Lumin apps with twonky really don't live up to what I'd got used to. It's funny, I thought they were fine when I had a Linn DS and I initially really wanted Devialet to offer UPNP/DLNA. Except for Roon, the combination of Jriver and remote is the best music controller software I've used.

First step I tried was loading Minimserver onto the Melco, better than Twonky but you're still stuck with less than brilliant control apps.

Then, I remembered that Jriver has DLNA functionality so I started to play around with it. Initially I couldn't see the Melco player (the library was visible) from Jriver but changing the control type for 1 to 0 on the Melco fixed that and I could see the player as well. With a bit of tweaking of settings, I now have the Melco controlled by Jriver and the Jremote app, streaming DSD and Flac files perfectly.

I'm using the library on my Synology but it also works fine with files on the Melco. I can't hear any difference between sending the files from Jriver or playing of the drives in the Melco so I can't see any downside so far. Of course, it means that you need a PC on the network to run Jriver but I have one for Roon and Air anyway (not very patiently waiting for Melco to implement Roon is some for or other :-) ).

The architecture is a little different to normal UPNP/DLNA, Jriver acts as the Server and the control point, Melco just the player, you can of course, point Jrivers library to the files on the Melco if you wish. Jremote is just a remote control for Jriver rather than a UPNP control point, if that makes sense?

So if anyone else has a Jriver licence and a Melco, I'd strongly recommend trying it as a controller. It was quite simple in the end and feels much more fitting to high tech gear like Melco and Devialet :-)

cheers

Chris

Messages In This Thread
Melco users - what app? - by Womaz - 06-Nov-2015, 09:49
RE: Melco users - what app? - by octaviars - 06-Nov-2015, 17:10
RE: Melco users - what app? - by Womaz - 06-Nov-2015, 17:29
RE: Melco users - what app? - by Womaz - 06-Nov-2015, 21:58
RE: Melco users - what app? - by tyefighter - 07-Nov-2015, 00:05
RE: Melco users - what app? - by Rufus McDufus - 07-Nov-2015, 00:16
RE: Melco users - what app? - by Womaz - 07-Nov-2015, 00:38
RE: Melco users - what app? - by Womaz - 07-Nov-2015, 00:42
RE: Melco users - what app? - by Bob Ryan - 07-Nov-2015, 11:46