Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest update neutered my Phantoms
(16-Nov-2015, 22:26)Johnnydev Wrote:
(16-Nov-2015, 22:01)stonedragon Wrote: This new firmware takes getting used to. Personally I preferred the older sound. I guess I will get used to the new sound, which is good, but to me the speakers no longer have that 'je ne sais quoi' because the bass seems to have been scaled back. Is just me, or do others feel the same?

There is no difference, only volume setting is changed.
Maybe you have to do a complete factory reset or listen again with a glass of wine

We've seen the log sweep measurements showing that the frequency response has NOT changed.  That said, I ran the Phantom through my Pioneer receiver's auto-EQ feature before/after and it does seem like there was a more EQ to the bass (i.e. bass lowered) and slightly less eq at the 1kHz range (more accurate midrange).  The receiver EQ doesn't go below 63Hz though.

I actually like the new sound because the bass is a bit less overwhelming.  On a full 20-20kHz pink noise track from a Revel subwoofer test CD, the current Phantom actually measures fairly flat, and using an SPL meter, the bass roll off doesn't occur (in my room) until less then 23 hz (and that roll-off could be the mic). The bass is a little less "cooked" -- but still sounds great.  

It is possible that there has been a change to the SAM parameters.  This might show up in an actual music track but not a log sweep, I personally thought it could be just my woofers "breaking in" but stonedragon's comment is not diametrically opposed to the impressions of others.  Maybe less bass, clearer midrange.

I thought that it could be that my speakers are breaking in -- but stonedragon was happy with the sound until the firmware update and I suppose the volume calibration isn't the only difference otherwise they wouldn't have released a 1.4 firmware and then pulled it.

Messages In This Thread
Latest update neutered my Phantoms - by sleach - 07-Nov-2015, 22:55
Latest update neutered my Phantoms - by msg - 08-Nov-2015, 15:47
RE: Latest update neutered my Phantoms - by AlanD - 17-Nov-2015, 00:48