Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New system....First u
So first let me say hi to you all. Nice to be joining you. I've used forums in the past and do find them incredibly useful to tap into all the experience. 

I'm now in the middle of changing my system. Unlike many, I tend to buy a system, listen to it for some years then move the whole thing on for something new.  My current system comprises Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage with Gravis B subwoofer and an all tube linestage, amp and CDP sitting on Finite Elemente racks. The system is powered and cabled with Shunyata. My room is quite small and I have my speakers firing across the width in order to get speakers well away from walls. On listening, the soundstage I get usually fills the room (close your eyes and it sounds like a far bigger room) and the speakers truly do disappear. I have a fairly large CD collection 

A couple of months ago I decided to buy an iPad and a bluetooth speaker in order to put a toe into I streaming and help me find new music. I bought a Naim Mu-so Qb, which for the price is a pretty impressive little box. I took out subscriptions to Apple Music and Tidal. I'm really enjoying the ability to create players lists of my favourite tracks and share other people's playlists to find new tunes that I like. 
This lead me to wanting to upgrade my present system, but with 4 big boxes full of tubes I had no more rack space and didn't really want to add yet more heat generating capacity to my room with a matching DAC. So I decided to turn over my entire system. 
I auditioned speakers, choosing those I thought would work well in my small room. It came down to 2, the YG Carmel and the Magico S1 MkII.  I auditioned the YGs with some AVM kit, which was based on digital amps and ps and sample rate conversion to 192.  Frankly, I was most impressed with how detailed, transparent, pure and unfatiguing it sounded, so started to look at digital amps more closely, which is where Devialet came into the equation. Condensing four boxes of hot tubes into a single integrated chassis that included Streaming and DAC was a major benefit for my small room. I have had a turbulent relationship with digital, owning 4 CDPs and an SACDP that caused me to grind my teeth when listening. Even top of the line maga $$$ outfits sounded too 'electronic' for my taste.  
I finally managed to get a demo of the Magico speakers driven by a single chassis Devialet and I loved what I heard enough to take the plunge and order a system....a pair of Magico S1 MkII and 440. I also needed new cabling so this time went for Synergistic Research, who offer what I believe are well matched components in their Atmosphere power and speaker cables. 
The system is currently being manufactured and should be with me by the end of October....which brings me finally to my questions (thank God I hear you sigh Tongue).
My broadband enters my house in my lounge, where the modem/wifi router box is situated. According to my ISP (Virgin) I have 200mbps coming to the house to their most recent Hub 3.0, which unfortunately has no USB ports. Running various speed tests my Broadband is plenty fast (up in the 80Mbps range download) but the wi-fi seems fairly weak (could be to do with the positioning of the Hub, which is at a room boundary. My hi-fi room is upstairs roughly 10 meters from the Hub. I am keen to get the very best results from my Devialet, so am looking for the optimum set up. I have ordered a 10m Synergistic ethernet cable, so could connect directly from Hub 3.0 to the Devialet. I also intend to add a 3TB Apple Time Capsule (NAD and wi-if base station) to back up and share music. So, can you please tell me, what is the best way to get music to/from my Devialet, bearing in mind my networking and my CD collection? I have a iPad Pro and could add Apple MacBook Pro and Apple Airport Express modules if that got the best results. Thanks for taking the time to read this rather long message. Cheers Steve
Hi, and welcome to Devialet chat.

Reading the description so far, I'll assume that budget is not much of an issue.

I think the 2 most obvious routes would be Roon via the AIR network protocol or a dcs network bridge that could do tidal and your nas files via UPNP. You are on the right track avoiding wi-fi, though having said that your new 440 pro will have the new streaming board so it might work ok, and is expected to include tidal streaming and upnp.

Roon has the advantage of really merging your own files with Tidal very effectively and doesn't require any extra boxes near the system, you would need a small quiet pc of some sort to run it but that could be near your virgin hub. It is also likely that the new board will support Roons own streaming protocol (RAAT), which appears to be 100% reliable (very few are)so could be a great option. There is a thread here somewhere about it.

It might make sense to at least wait for what the new streaming board brings before committing to any further investment, it may have everything you need.

I would have a look at the Roon software though, most of the people who have tried it love it ?

Cheers

Chris
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
Hi Steve, and welcome to the forum. Good advice from Chris above. What I would add is that particularly with the Pro models, the sound quality from Devialet AIR is excellent so I would definitely start with trying AIR and leave any thoughts of buying additional kit until you have had time to see how you get on with the new system. As Chris mentions, Roon is great, but with Devialet AIR installed you could run any music server software you want to on your Mac and it should work fine assuming you get the Ethernet connection working.

Where I absolutely agree with Chris is that you should wait to see how the new Devialet OS 'Core Intelligence' streamer board performs. Nobody knows just how good or bad this will sound, how stable it will be or anything else. I think there is a good chance it will perform well, but however things turn out, your best bet is wait and see. (or wait and hear)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
All you need is roon , it will see the devialet as an endpoint and you can stream wirelessly to it with far better results than the devialet AIR implementation
so its .. computer running roon > wireless to devialet.
The computer does not have to be in the listening room , it has to be on the network..you control the whole shebang with a tablet/ipad
If your wirelss signal is too weak in the listening room you can use a wireless extender or get a more potent router
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Hooking up your D with a cable to the router will yield the best results, especially if you will stream high rez content.

Στάλθηκε από το ALE-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
Thanks for all the very helpful insights. Let's see if I've got this right

Connect an Apple Airport Time Capsule to my ISP wireless router to increase wi-fi signal and add file sharing/back-up capabilities.
Run an eithernet cable from my ISP router up to the Devialet
Connect the Devialet to the Wifi
Load Roon onto my iPad
Download all my ripped music onto the Apple extreme
Seamlessly stream my music and Tidal hi-res files to the Devialet via roon on my iPad

Alternative
Add the Apple Time Capsule to beef up my wi-fi signal
Download my music to the TC's drive 
Connect the Devialet to my Wi-Fi
Load roon onto my iPad
Use roon on my iPad to stream TC and Tidal files wirelessly to the Devialet

Alternative 2:
Add the Apple Time capsule and a dcs Network Bridge.
Run an Ethernet cable between the ISP router and the dcs and between the dcs and the Devialet. 
Download my ripped music to the Time capsule.
Use my iPad to stream my music, Tidal or Spotify files via the dcs Bridge to the Devialet using ??????  (roon? Devialet Air? the dcs app?)

Before doing anything other than adding the Apple Time Capsule I will take your advice and wait until I have the D and get a little experience with all its capabilities
Well those ideas got poo poo'd. Called Devialet Support to find out if my new 440 would ship with the new Streamer board, but they couldn't say. Only that it would ship before December and that if mine didn't have it I could ship the unit back to Paris to get it installed. They also told me that several customers had experienced problems getting files off Apple Time Capsule, so wasn't a good solution.

So.....next plan.  How does this sound?

1. Innuos Zenith MkII SE hooked up to my ISP Router via Ethernet cable and to the D440 by USB cable.  Roon core on the Zenith and Roon app on my IPad Pro, with a NAS for file back-up.  Qubos and Tidal Hi-Fi for hi-def files and Zenith to rip my CDs to Flac or Wav.  Apple Airport Extreme for reliable Wi-Fi link between iPad and Router.

Alternatively:

2. Router----Ethernet-----Innuos Zenith MkII Std hooked up to DCS Bridge via USB.  DCS Bridge connected to Devialet via ?????what?
Roon core on the Zenith, Roon apps on the DCS and iPad.  Same strategy for internet streaming, back-up, wi-fi etc.

I know you said wait until I had the streamer board, but the Zenith provides a really cool solution for ripping and storing files so would not be redundant even if the D-streamer proved to be 'walk-on-water-with-dry feet' good.

Does the above sound feasible or can you see better alternatives? 

Cheers
Steve