Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Original d'Atelier
To the oda owners two questions :
- did you had the confirmation the oda will have to come back to France for the upgrade meaning it can't be done locally ?
- are you believing in the promisse of free permanent upgrade for oda owners ? Or is it a 'marketing' trick

Best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(14-Jan-2017, 10:53)clementcousin Wrote: To the oda owners two questions :
- did you had the confirmation the oda will have to come back to France for the upgrade meaning it can't be done locally ?
- are you believing in the promisse of free permanent upgrade for oda owners ? Or is it a 'marketing' trick

Best

The Od'As will have to go back to France since the upgrade will involve replacing both motherboards.

Regarding the "free permanent upgrades" this only applies to both the OS board and platform 6, in other words full 1000 PRO status.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(14-Jan-2017, 11:34)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(14-Jan-2017, 10:53)clementcousin Wrote: To the oda owners two questions :

Best

The Od'As will have to go back to France since the upgrade will involve replacing both motherboards.

Regarding the "free permanent upgrades" this only applies to both the OS board and platform 6, in other words full 1000 PRO status.

Guillaume
I still have the response to a query I sent to Devialet support regarding this issue.  The response was from the lovely Oceane , who replied as follows:

"Thank you for your message. 
By permanent we mean only this offer. 
Meaning that if you purchase a D900 now, you will be able all your life to upgrade it to a 1000 pro."

Once I had recovered from Oceane's undeniable charm, I had to conclude that it was indeed a marketing trick, or rather misleading at the very least.  Having said that, let's be honest, did anyone think that you would get an upgrade to the latest top of the range Devialet product for the rest of your days?  For someone lucky enough to have a few decades more to live, that would made the Od'A the greatest audio bargain in all history. Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
GuillaumeB is absolutely right. There's no such things as a permanent upgrade.

When I first bought the OdA (S/N 077), the same pitch was sold to me. The main reason, I think, was at that time, the Devialet knows that an upcoming model would replace the then top model 800, and they do know that the new model would have something that will be better than the OdA, which was then touted as the top model. To appease and ensure the pricing is justifiable, FREE upgrade was then pitched. Maybe its words, or whatever the intent, the story was sold so that the OdA's will move off the shelf. I am still waiting for mine to be upgraded (think my turn is July this year).

I won't say I am not disappointed but then, be realistic I said to myself. The OdA did (and still do) sound good. OK, great with my Raidho D-3.1's and thats all it matters. If I wanted something that does not needs upgrade, perhaps a tube amp will suffice and all one needs to care for is tube rolling. Some amps don't change models frequently ... and so, it does last (like Air Tight and some other companies).

Thats my view on why we should not get so hung up on this "lifetime upgrade" thingy. Instead, enjoy what the amps can do for the musical experience we seek in there first place. After all, I don't ever like to think I have been suckered into buying, cause at the time of purchase, the amps itself was one great selling factor (look nice, 100 sets only, great performance, etc, ..), besides of course, this very attractive selling point that the amp is always going to be the latest and greatest.

The question I have would be, is Devialet going to be another McIntosh, where years from now, the OdA is still serviceable (recap, etc, ..). Then like Patek famous words, we don't own it, its meant to be passed down to the next generation and I am hoping for that as its too beautiful an amp to be thrown away once the parts starts to wither.
System: TW Acustics Raven GT se, Raven 10.5, Miyajima Zero, Ortofon RSG309, Ortofon SPU A95 Anniversary, ModWright Oppo UDP205, Roon Nucleus+, Devialet OdA #77, Magnum Dynlab MD90T SE, Audience Au24 SX cables, Wilson Alexia.

Vintage Turntables: Thorens TD160 Super, SME M2-9, Ortofon 2M Mono SE & Thorens TD147 Jubilee, Ortofon 2M Black
TV Companion: Stereo Phantom Gold
Any latest news as to when the free O d'A upgrade will occur?
(05-May-2017, 01:40)JRIGGS Wrote: Any latest news as to when the free O d'A upgrade will occur?

Was told by local dealer - sometime July this year. BTW, mine is #077 - Singapore
System: TW Acustics Raven GT se, Raven 10.5, Miyajima Zero, Ortofon RSG309, Ortofon SPU A95 Anniversary, ModWright Oppo UDP205, Roon Nucleus+, Devialet OdA #77, Magnum Dynlab MD90T SE, Audience Au24 SX cables, Wilson Alexia.

Vintage Turntables: Thorens TD160 Super, SME M2-9, Ortofon 2M Mono SE & Thorens TD147 Jubilee, Ortofon 2M Black
TV Companion: Stereo Phantom Gold
(05-May-2017, 02:46)Jerry Seh Wrote:
(05-May-2017, 01:40)JRIGGS Wrote: Any latest news as to when the free O d'A upgrade will occur?

Was told by local dealer - sometime July this year. BTW, mine is #077 - Singapore

That's interesting Jerry, thanks for sharing! It's funny but I'm pretty sure July was the original date touted for the O d'A upgrade.

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Just last month I was bombarded by emails from Devialet with regards to the upgrade offer to the Pro. I replied the email asking when will be the OdA's turn and got the following reply:

Thank you for your message.
Upgrades are not yet available for the ODA.
A unique device needs a little more time.
We will let you know as soon as you can send us your Original.

And I did not receive any more upgrade email since.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
(06-May-2017, 01:46)tategoi Wrote: A unique device needs a little more time.

A unique upgrade unlike the others?

Guillaume

UK
(06-May-2017, 11:50)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(06-May-2017, 01:46)tategoi Wrote: A unique device needs a little more time.

A unique upgrade unlike the others?

Guillaume

It is unique, in that it extracts zero extra cash from customers, therefore it needs a little more time. Sad
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12