Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What gear did you trade or sell to get Devialet?
Hello everyone.
The transition for me was more complicated than initially expected. Before buying the D-Premier my set-up consisted of a Audio Research Reference 8 CD, a Theta Compli multiplayer to read DVDs and blue rays and a Basis 2500 turntable/Vector 3 arm/Benz LP cartridge as sources, an Aesthetix Rhea phonostage and Sonic Frontiers Line 3 preamplifier and Power 3 monoblocks for amplification and Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers. I was looking for a replacement for the Sonic Frontiers and choose the D-Premier against a Audio Research Reference 250 (I don't remember the preamplifier model that was tested) as well as Conrad Johnsons, Krells and Classes, the last four within the same price range. I preferred the D-Premier more on the basis of sound quality and its more promising technology (I am engineer) than of its lower price, but the replacement triggered an unpredicted chain of events. Some time later I found the high frequencies too sibilant, a fault which was attenuated but impossible to solve completely by changing the speaker cables. This lead the Sonus Faber to be ultimately replaced by B&W Diamond 800s, after testing several models (YG Acoustics, Focal, Wilson Sophia, etc.). Simultaneously, I found that the sound quality improved if the Theta was branched to the digital inputs of the D-Premier instead of the analogic ones. Unfortunately the AR Reference 8 does not have digital outputs. After extensive tests I found that the best SQ in reading CDs was achieved with a PS Audio memory player, probably because the internal buffer reduces reading errors and I replaced the AR by a PS Audio. Having now some inputs available I purchased a Bryston BDP-1 to read audio files stored in a USB hard disk and, more recently, an Aurender with internal storage. In the meantime the D-Premier was upgraded to 250 and the Aesthetix replaced by the 250 internal phono stage.

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

Messages In This Thread
What gear did you trade or sell to get Devialet? - by ruivilar - 20-Dec-2015, 11:22