Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What gear did you trade or sell to get Devialet?
Hello Stigmater,

You are not the first to bring out the question why, after being a Krell owner for 15 years, I traded my setup for a Devialet D-Premiere ( upgraded to a D250)

The answer are a couple of things; I got fed up with all equipment, I was dissatisfied with the way Krell handled service issues and I found the Devialet just as musically satisfying as the larger Krell setup. Shure, the Krells were even more powerful but there was a musicality in the Devialet which was appealing to me.

Regarding the combo of Q3 and D250; I have owned the Q3 since it was released in 2011. By far this is the most challenging speaker to setup I have experienced. Just by moving the speakers a couple of millimeters, you change soundstage and tonal balance. Based on this experience I would guess that your experience of the Q3 was a result of a not 100% perfect setup. Personally I love the combination of Q3 and the D250 since the transparency, relative lack of coloration and fantastic transient speed, appeal to me. This qualities also bring out the importance of using cables that is neutral. I have been using Nordost Valhalla and Odin cables and Transparent Audio Reference in the system - unfortunately without that last satisfaction. The Valhalla /Odin cables worked fine with the Wilson MAXX ser2/Sasha and Krells I previously owned but in my existing system the Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables and Sigma power cords do the job in a more musically satisfying way.

In my listening room (approximately 25m2/250sq feet) the D250 deliver enough power but I can see the need for a more powerful setup in a larger room. From comments on this forum I understand that many have experienced the D800 even better sound quality wise. Unfortunately I have not had any chance to experience the D800 in my system yet, so from my standpoint, the question have yet to be unanswered.

I hope this have been of some help for you.

Best regards

Björn

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden

Messages In This Thread
What gear did you trade or sell to get Devialet? - by BjornWiman - 22-Dec-2015, 09:38