Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question of transparency - Help or Harm?
(06-Dec-2015, 19:04)thumb5 Wrote: .....
Not surprisingly, then, the discussion on the thread seems to have focused on whether being more transparent would help Devialet become a company we would like as customers -- but that's a different question entirely.

On the other hand, if they're continually using revenue from current products to fund a push into ever higher-volume markets, there's not much incentive to have high levels of customer service and satisfaction for their lower-volume products.  After all, they've already sold them, and any future sales of these products will be a small and ever-decreasing proportion of their revenue.

I think part of the dissatisfaction some us (myself included) have expressed with Devialet arises from the tension between what we expect from a company selling relatively expensive audio equipment, and the behaviour of a start-up company with a stated goal to be in high-volume markets.  Remember: "One day, everyone will own a Devialet?"  Well, it won't be an Original d'Atelier, that's for sure.

To put it another way, and rather more bluntly: I feel that Devialet is very important to me, but that I am now very unimportant to Devialet.

Excellent discussions all.  And I'm biting my tongue from making any comments so as not to influence the direction of the discussion in appropriately.  I can with some confidence that at least some in Devialet leadership will read these comments.  And I hope it will be to the good in the end. 

But from my own observations that is not informed by any outsiders: 

1.  I do note that your comments above are impactful for me, such as the line, "I feel that Devialet is very important to me, but that I am now very unimportant to Devialet."   I feel quite confident that they do not intend that at all.  But I'm not sure what is happening internally that prevents them from addressing the factors that lead you (among others) to feel this.  Growing pains perhaps. 

In leadership processes, I have learned that if some of the greatest supporters of Devialet (presumably that's evidenced by our activities on this board) feel this way, then that sense will inevitably leak out to the rest of the purchasing public.  

2. My perception is that they are expanding to luxury consumers than hifi enthusiast.  Phantom seem to be that effort. For that to happen, it must have cachet, be easy to use, have cachet, perform well, and priced to a certain point that is attainable.   If anything, relative to the rest of the Devialet line, the Phantom seem to be underpriced.  But if they sell enough, it can exceed the rest of the Devialet's line.  (Yes, I have a knack of stating the obvious in a self evident sentence but you know what I mean.)  I am conjecturing here.... Confused

I am increasing in my respect of Devialet's technical vision as I continue to think more about their products.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question of transparency - Help or Harm? - by MountainGuy - 07-Dec-2015, 08:00